Least Cost Routing for long distance calls

Unanswered Question

I'd like to apply LCR in our environment. I've seen some helpful posts but I am still missing something and feel stuck.

I have a voice gateway (GW_A) in area code 336 and a GW_B in are code 803.

I want to send calls made from 336 to 803 through GW_B. Additionally, there are areas within 803 where calls are treated as local toll (or local long distance), where you would have to dial long distance from GW_B (1803xxxxxxx).

Any ideas of how to accomplish this?

I think I know how to send the call to the gateway (Through Route Patterns and, Roulte Filters, and\or Route List?), but I am not sure of how to treat the digits so that the call gets handled by the next GW appropriately.

MGCP GWs full converged VoIP over MPLS.

We currently already have a bypass toll code for each office like this:

639.@ sends it to GW_B and uses route filter 7 digits local. This route pattern is in the active partition for all my lines. Discard Digits PreDot.

GOing to CUCM 6.X very soon.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Avner Izhar Fri, 02/22/2008 - 23:13

It is a big topic to explain through this media, but I can tell you the basics.

You need a route list per route, and then use the dot to remove the area code when the call goes to the first route group (gateway), and prefix 1+area code when the call fails over to the second route group.

HTH, Avner.

e.huntley Tue, 03/04/2008 - 07:56

I have done something similar before using route filters because some office codes within the area code are LD and some are not.

So you would have multiple 9.@ route pattern with multiple route filters. It is a lot of work, but that is the best way to do it. You just need to read up on route filters and wildcards. Keep in mind that there is a limitation to the number of rules in a route filter so it is conceivable that you could have multiple router filters per area code all containing different office codes.

Thank you huntley. I thought about that too, but it may be a lot of work.

On the other option, I can send the call to the remote gateway using RL and discard digits. No problem there. The problem is I don't know how to make it fail over if the office code is LD for the remote gateway.

Say I am in Charlotte, I dial 91803407XXXX to Columbia. The call is sent as 407XXXX to the Columbia gateway and connects no problem.

Now I am in Charlotte and dial 91803436XXXX. This an intra-lata LD call from Columbia to Sumter. The call still goes out as 436XXXX. I need to put the 1803 back so it can complete.

I can't figure it out.

e.huntley Tue, 03/04/2008 - 12:22

It is a hard subject to explain in short form, but essentially as mentioned by the poster above, you would need another route list that does a called party transformation and does a prefix digits 1803. So if you had two route patterns you would need two route lists.

One would just do a pre dot or whatever standard issue think. The other would do the prefix digits.

This Discussion