cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 5.01 Voice recognition help

dnelson
Level 1
Level 1

Question: Can a unity 5.01 vm server also be the voice recognition server. According to the docs it can but I can't get it to work.

Ran the setup off of dvd1. Rebooted. Setup Unity VR ip address and port. Rebooted again.

Configured a subscriber for VR and press or say menus but they don't work.

I can't find any troubleshooting documentation. I've set this up before using and 2nd server running win2k3 and it's worked fine.

Anybody have any suggestions.

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dave,

Sadly, this must be installed on a seperate server. The documentation in some spots leads you to beleive otherwise but always leads back to this fact;

Adding Voice Recognition

Use the following task list to update the Cisco Unity system correctly. Note that license(s) must have been purchased to add voice recognition.

Task List for Adding Voice Recognition

1. Obtain a license file that includes voice recognition. See the "Obtaining Cisco Unity License Files" section.

2. Run the Cisco Unity license file wizard. See the "Running the Cisco Unity License File Wizard to Add Voice Recognition" section.

3. Install and configure the voice-recognition server. See the "Installing and Configuring a Voice-Recognition Server" appendix of the applicable Cisco Unity installation guide at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_installation_guides_list.html.

4. Configure Cisco Unity templates and subscribers for voice recognition. See the "Managing Voice-Recognition Features" chapter of the System Administration Guide for Cisco Unity, Release 5.x at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_maintenance_guides_list.html.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/upgrade/guide/ex/5xcuruge030.html#wp1297313

Installing and Configuring a Voice-Recognition Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/installation/guide/vmexnofo/5xcuigvmenofoappc.html

Here is another good reference from Russell that confirms the fact :(

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1de01f1a/8#selected_message

Hope this helps! Sorry man,

Rob

The docs you pointed me to says this under installing voice recognition software.

Installing Cisco Unity Voice-Recognition Software

You install Cisco Unity voice-recognition software on the voice-recognition server and on the Cisco Unity server. Do the following two procedures in the specified order.

To Install Cisco Unity Voice-Recognition Software on the Voice-Recognition Server

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Log on to the voice-recognition server by using an account that is a member of the local Administrators group.

Step 2 Insert Cisco Unity DVD_1 in the DVD drive.

Step 3 Browse to the UnityVoiceRecognitionSetup directory, and run Setup.exe.

Step 4 Follow the on-screen prompts until you are prompted to choose the location for voice-recognition files.

Step 5 Choose a location other than the system drive (drive C:) to install Cisco Unity voice-recognition software.

Step 6 Click Next.

Step 7 Accept the default location for the Cisco Unity voice-recognition service.

Step 8 Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Install Cisco Unity Voice-Recognition Software on the Cisco Unity Server

Step 1 Log on to the Cisco Unity server by using an account that is a member of the local Administrators group.

Step 2 Insert Cisco Unity DVD 1 in the DVD drive.

Step 3 Browse to the UnityVoiceRecognitionSetup directory, and run Setup.exe.

Step 4 Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.

So is this documentation flat out wrong?

Hi Dave,

This is the key line;

"You install Cisco Unity voice-recognition software on the voice-recognition server **and on the Cisco Unity server."

So, it's not wrong just a little confusing :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

OK, it makes sense now that you pointed out the "and" part.

Interestingly enough though, on my other VR installs where a 2nd server was in use and worked perfectly, i never did the install on the unity server and things are working fine.

Go figure.

Thanks for your help.

Couple comments...

You can install the (Nuance) voice recognition software on Cisco Unity for demo purposes. Back to that in a minute.

In a production enviroment, if you install the voice recognition software on an off box server and do not run the voice recognition software setup on the Cisco Unity server, voice recognition will work. However grammar updates will not take place. Basically the voice recognition setup detects if you are running it on a Cisco Unity server, and if so, it does not install the Nuance speech recogntion engine, it simply installs a service called CuVrt.exe which is responsible for doing the grammar updates with the off box voice recognition server.

That said when you run voice recognition setup on an off box server, the setup detects that Cisco Unity is not installed, and installs both the Nuance speech recognition engine and the CuVrt.exe service which communicates with the CuVrt.exe service on the Cico Unity server in order to do the grammar updates.

Now back to installing everything on the Cisco Unity server, this can be done by running the voice recognition setup with a special command line option. This is only supported for demonstration purposes.

You wouldn't want to elaborate as to what the command line switches are would you?

I've tried setup /?, setup -?, setup -help, setup /help to no avail. Tried google searching and cisco's site but no luck.

Thanks for your help by the way. It's great to have people like you helping the less fortunate like me get all this straight since cisco doesn't believe in providing straight forward documentation that clearly explains what you just did.

Sure thing, see the section titled "Installing and Configuring Voice-Recognition Software on a Cisco Unity Server for Demonstration Purposes Only" in the Cisco Unity 5.0(1) Release Notes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/release/notes/501curelnotes.html#wp892385

Thank you, I should of know that if all else fails, check the release notes.

Thanks again.

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: