cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Covert Cisco Serial Port to Ethernet Port

adpattersu
Level 1
Level 1

I'm working on a Cisco 2621 router. It has four Serial ports and two Ethernet ports. How can a Serial port be converted to an Ethernet port?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Adam

Perhaps there is some aspect of your question or of your requirements that I am not understanding. But there is not any way to convert a Serial port into an Ethernet port. You may look at the connectors and see that physically they take similar connectors. But they employ very different protocols and use very different electronics. If you need more Ethernet connections then it should be possible to get an additional Ethernet card for the 2621. But you can not convert Serial into Ethernet.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Adam

Perhaps there is some aspect of your question or of your requirements that I am not understanding. But there is not any way to convert a Serial port into an Ethernet port. You may look at the connectors and see that physically they take similar connectors. But they employ very different protocols and use very different electronics. If you need more Ethernet connections then it should be possible to get an additional Ethernet card for the 2621. But you can not convert Serial into Ethernet.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Adam

I am glad that my answer was helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that they will read responses which successfully resolved the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card