cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Line Protocol on Ethernet port of router doesn't go up.How could I fix it ?

dtg170170
Level 1
Level 1

What is the cause for a 10BaseT Ethernet port on 1760 router line protocol goes down and returns a message on the console that says Ethernet port lost Carrier,and also says Transciever problem. I tried to bring it up,but it keeps on returning the same message after going up for very few seconds.

5 Replies 5

husycisco
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Demmelash

Make sure the duplex of the port of the device connected to 10BaseT Eth pot on 1760 is set to auto-sensing, and 10BaseT is set to correct duplex setting.

Regards

Goutam Sanyal
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

verify with :

router#show interface ethernet 0

Try finding the deferred, from last of 3rd line.

As per Cisco: The deferred counter counts the number of times the interface has tried to send a frame, but found the carrier busy at the first attempt (Carrier Sense). This does not constitute a problem, and is part of normal Ethernet operation.

Also can you post the log file followed by %, along with the Ethernet configuration by the sh run | in Ethernet 0

It may related with duplex also. Pls post the above.

Thanks

Goutam

Pls rate if it helps u!!!

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Is this an external transceiver?

If so, check that the SQE (heartbeat) is set to off on the transceiver.

If this is an internal (i.e., an rj45 port), then your cable is bad, the interface is bad, the interface at the other end is bad, or you you are set at 100Mbps at the other end (hard set it to 10/half or Auto).

Good Luck

Scott

Demmelash

There is an aspect that no one has yet asked: can you verify whether some device is connected to the Ethernet port of the router? You get exactly the symptoms that you describe when there is not anything connected on the Ethernet port. If there is some device connected, can you tell us what it is and how it is configured?

If there is a device connected then I like the suggestions that Scott makes: check for 100 Mbps setting on the other end, check to see if changing cable makes a difference, also check whether cable is straight through or is crossover (and what kind of cable it should be depends on what it is connected to), and check for bad interfaces.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks a lot ScottMac,

I finally found out that it is the ethernet port which is faulty.I took out the ethernet interface card out and inserted it on a different slot.And i observed the same loging message ,%PQUICC_ETHER-1-LOSTCARR: Unit 0, lost carrier. Transc

eiver problem?,on the console.

thank u

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: