Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring bandwith and data used by internal IP's

andrewiles
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a small network and I have just starting to play around with a Cisco 877W and want to know what the best way to monitor how much Internet bandwidth and data each IP on my network is using. I've been reading some info about netflow but if anyone has any info or software to save me time, it would be nice.

7 Replies 7

cisco24x7
Level 6
Level 6

If you're familiar with Linux/Unix, you can

use a freeware called flowtool. It is a netflow

collector that can do a lot of cool things.

ccie security

andrewiles
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the idea,

This will be for a small Windows SBS server enviroment I would prefer not adding a Linux box in ATM as it is one more thing I would have to support.

If that's the case then you may want to check

out NetQoS. It is a windows-based appliance.

A bit pricey but very good product.

Yes NetQos looks cool but a little bit overboard from a SBS enviroment with

1 Win SBS 2003 server

1 Cisco 877w rotuer

10 workstations

I was hoping there was a software program on the cisco website that was going to do somthing like the NetQos but free. I was looking to put a proxy in but hoped the cisco device could do it.

GERARD PUOPLO
Level 1
Level 1

NETQOS and Crannog (now Fluke networks) FlowTracker are two I favor most for enterprise clients.

cflow and open source tools make sense in my opinion only if you have large environments or complicated requirements. Otherwise why hassle with cflow when there are so many good and inexpensive products nowadays that are available for < $1000K such as Adventnet and so others.

I suggest you check out PRTG from http://www.paesslet.com. Simple simple simple and starts at $100. Good for relatively small environments like Cisco commercial clients. It will take care of your netFlow and other SNMP trending work.

BTW all these tools today can be easily downloaded and evaluated except for NetQOS where its more then a simple web download to get an eval.

Regarding my previous post where I stated there are so many good netflow tools available for < $1000K such as Adventnet and so others.

I meant $1000.

jp

I'm looking at SolarWinds and NetQOS for a moderate size enterprise. Do you still think NetQOS is a good product?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: