CCNP Order of Exams/Test Engines

Unanswered Question
Feb 23rd, 2008

Hello to all members, the following question mind sound redundant to some of you, but I was wondering if there is a sequence recommended for someone to take the 4 exams?

Is any sequence acceptable? is there a time limit that you have to take the remaining exams once you pass your first one?

Also I have bought the 4 books from Cisco, 5th edition, is this the best way to go around those exams? or is there any recommended test engine that some of you might have used?

I remember I used on for CCNA, and in my opinion it was great.

Your responses would be much appreciated.

This is my first time on these forums, and any help and pointers would be much appreciated.

Than you all in advance.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Istvan_Rabai Sat, 02/23/2008 - 23:22

Hi Antonios,

Most people do the CCNP track in the following order, which is not mandatory:

BSCI

BCMSN

ISCW

ONT

The first 2 give you a solid understanding of routing and switching basics that you can build upon while learning the last 2.

You have to pass all 4 exams within 3 years after passing CCNA. I don't know of other time limits.

Here is the list of latest CCNP study books from Ciscopress:

http://www.ciscopress.com/markets/detail.asp?st=44734

Cheers:

Istvan

antonios.skoula... Sun, 02/24/2008 - 16:26

Istvan I do appreciate your feedback, and thank you for this.

Do you happen if there is any test engine, which is essentially a pool of possible questions to the exams?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thank you and have a nice day.

sr1899524 Wed, 02/27/2008 - 01:55

If I remeber correctly, you have 3 years from the date of passing your CCNA to complete any of the 4 CCNP exams. This also recertifies your CCNA. You then have 2 years to pass the remaining 3 CCNP exams to obtain the CCNP certification.

Duncan

The general acceptance is to take the routing exam (BSCI) first, then the switch (BSCMN) then the other two in whatever order you prefer. I on the other hand would prefer to study the switching first because a lot of the basics are based upon switching methods then work on routing. Its like following the OSI layers... you start off with Layer2/ Layer 3 and then go to Layer 4. So, study Layer 2/3 (switching) then study (routing) Layer 3/4 then focus on the others.

But to answer your questions... it does not matter what order you take your tests. And the books you purchased should be sufficient. As always, attempt to look at the course guidelines and use multiple sources instead of just one book. But, it all depends on your study abilities such as strengths and weaknesses. But that part is again all personal preference.

antonios.skoula... Mon, 02/25/2008 - 05:20

I agree with you when it comes to do the switching first then routing and then the other 2.

I guess all it is left for me to do is study, and hopefully I get to pass them within some reasonable time.

Thank you all for the information.

I hope it will be easier that I thought it would be.

tgillon Thu, 02/28/2008 - 05:55

I'm a little confused regarding the recertification process, any clarification would be appreciated. My CCNA expires this June. According to the recertification web page, if I pass any CCNP 642 exam (1 of the 4), that recertifies my CCNA. To obtain CCNP, do I have to pass all 4 exams by the time my CCNA expires in June OR do I have to pass the other 3 CCNP exams 3 years from when I pass the first CCNP exam I take? TIA!

tgillon Thu, 02/28/2008 - 07:28

I called Cisco and the second option above applies to my case, if I take a CCNP 642 exam and pass, that recertifies my CCNA for 3 years. I then have 3 years to pass the other 3 CCNP 642 exams to ear CCNP certifications. That's my plan!

Actions

This Discussion