cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP-polling of interface traffic - more granular than 5 min averages?

jilahbg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am using PRG (an MRTG-clone) which polls my switches via SNMP to get graphs of traffic thruput on each port.

However, as far as I know, Cisco tells the SNMP host the trhuput values in averages of 5 minutes.

How if I want go get more granular graphs of the thruput, lets say make it poll every 5 seconds and graph it. Can Cisco-equipment deliver this statistics via plain SNMP?

Best regards

Jimmy

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Apps like MRTG are configured out-of-the-box to do five minute polling so that they do not overwhelm the targets and the samples are pretty much guaranteed to be accurate (if not as granular as you may want). Plus, the data produced is more manageable.

In general, you should not poll any IOS device's interface stats more often than once every 10 seconds. This might be too aggressive as the device could be working on other higher priority tasks. But, yes, down to 10 seconds, the device should provide accurate statistics.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: