cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backbone providers in India

mirzaakberali
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,Can any one tell me the backbone providers for Bharti/Reliance/Tata/VSNL.

Also who owns their own backbones in India .

any update onthis highly appreciated!

Rgds,

Akber.

13 Replies 13

mirzaakberali
Level 1
Level 1

Appreciate update on the above query.

Rgds,

Akber.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You have to ask those ISP themselves. There are certain information confidential between them and you as a subscriber.

Some ISP post those information in their websites.

Regards,

Dandy

Reliance are building up their own backbone.

Rest are running over BSNL/MTNL.

shivlu jain
Level 5
Level 5

May be it can help you.

BEAM CABLE

BHARTI

BSNL

DARK

FASCEL

GAIL

HFCL

OVERHEAD FIBRE

PGCIL

RAILTEL

RELIANCE

TTML

TTSL

VISION

VSNL

regards

shivlu

Thanks for the information.

I want to know who is providing backbone connectivity to Reliance/Bharti/Tata/VSNL for their T1/DS3 circuits .

Thanks,

Akber.

They are having their own fibers.

regards

shvilu

kittu.mbk
Level 1
Level 1

hey

i am working in hyd at bharti site

BTSOL provides provides the sevices for us.

you can contact them

Guys, I have partial knowledge on this . as far i knows Reliance is having backbone from Flag and STPI from VSNL as backbone fiber connectivity to overseas.

So i beileve its not they are having their own backbones.

I want to dig more inside init and have ful fledge knowledge ....appreciate help on this.

Rgds,

Akber.

HI Akber, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

With regards to the Undersea cable system failures,

Reliance has owned FLAG cable system and VSNL has owned the SMEW4 cable system.

If i am not wrong, Bharti is having own the cable system until Singapore.

You need to understand very well, the Service Provider Business is different from Cable System Provider.

Normally the Service Providers will not depend upon a single cable system provider for domestic as well as for International.

For each Major Region they will have dual cable system / connectivity Links depend upon the No.. of Customers available.

The Service Provider will plan for redundancy including the NOC, Power, Equipment and others.

Hope i am Informative.

PLS Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Thanks Guru for the valuable information.

From my understanding I think mentioned below are the back bone providers for the ISP .

Reliance ----> Flag

VSNL ----> SMWE4

Please let me know if the below are correct!

Bharti -----> SMWE4

TATA --------> SMWE4

STPI -------> SMWE4

I)Also let me know Does Reliance use anyother backbone provider in india apart from FLAG to connect within india and also across the gloabe ( may be for redundancy) .

II) Does Bharti use any other backbone provider ?

Appreciate prompt and detail response on this .

Thanks ,

Akber.

HI Akber, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

SIFY is one of the leading ISP providers in INDIA. Eventhough SIFY doesn't own any Subramine Cable System and where in terms of Serices and others i would prefer SIFY. SIFY has leased some Gateway / Backbone from different Cable System Owners.

SIFY has got decades of experience and strength in Routing and all other DOMAINs which ever the Customer Require.

If your Company is looking for an ISP Validation kindly prefer SIFY as the 1st Option.

Coming back to your Question:

=============================

Reliance ==> FLAG = OK

VSNL ==> SMWE4 = OK

Note: VSNL is currently taken-over by TATA and today its "TATA Communications".

So, Former VSNL (or) TATA Communications are same and they own SMWE4 System.

Bharti = i am not more sure but i know Bharti is having an own peering until Singapore point. They some how depend upon the FLAG / SMWE4 Cable System for carrying the Traffic.

If the above systems are DOWN, Bharti will normally route via Singapore owned cable System.

STPI = As of now STPI is not owning any Cable System and if i am not wrong they have offered the Tender for installation of new Cable System from ASIA until North America.

I)

Domestic Traffic:

==================

Any ISP including Reliance will normally have Backbone links with VSNL / MTNL / Bharti / Others as Primary (for non-recheable locations) or even Secondary Links.

International Traffic:

=======================

If i am not wrong, the Reliance should have peered with SMWE4 / SMWE3 cable system for redundancy.

Since SMWE4 was also down along with FLAG System, i hope Reliance will have SMWE3 for restoration.

II)

Bharti for Backbone (Domestic) will have peering with Reliance / VSNL / MTNL / Others.

May be the Primary (for non-recheable loactions) or even as Secondary.

Details about SMWE4 System:

=============================

SMWE$ optical fibre submarine cable system linking South East Asia to Europe via the Indian Sub-Continent and Middle East with Terminal Stations in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Italy, Tunisia, Algeria and France.

The contract is being awarded to Alcatel Submarine Networks.

Details about SMWE3 System:

============================

Sea-Me-We 3 includes 39 landing points in 33 countries and 4 continents from Western Europe (including Germany, England and France) to the Far East (including China, Japan and Singapore) and to Australia.

If i am not wrong, SMWE3 Submarine Cable System is one of the Longest layed cable path under sea.

In addition & FYI,

SIFY is one the BEST ISP Provider who managed with very Minimal Impact (ie., 0% Impact) to all their Customers during the FLAG / SMWE4 cable system failures.

Hope I am Informative.

PLS RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Just a clarification, SMW3 and SMW4 is not owned by anyone. It is basically a consortium of a few international telecommunications companies. Basically ISP across the world have to "purchase" bandwidth from this undersea cable systems to reach any part of the world.

dchavez273
Level 1
Level 1

Try Sify, may be some underlying carrier but in most cases you need to contact Sify first. unfortunately I don't have their contact no.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card