Views
Helpful
Replies

network objects not visible in ASDM

blaesingmarco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

I have the following problem. Network Objects which I have entered via the CLI are not visible in the ASDM. Any ideas? I use a ASA 5510, ASDM 6.03, ASA version 8.03

Thanks for response

Marco

9 Replies 9

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

It could very likely to be an ASDM bug, I would recommend to check bug tool database and see if it has been reported if not just simply open a TAC case.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

this is not a bug , requester, ASDM does not show up any ip names unless they are being used in access-list or static or anywhere in the configuration

Thanks for your replies. I found out that when I open an ASDM for pix (ver. 6.0(3)) and then connect via device list to the ASA I can see and use the IP names.

When I create a network object in ASDM for ASA it is displayed in the config like this:

name 1.1.1.1 test description test

Nothing more. And I can see this in the ASDM. If I feed exactly this into the config via CLI I can't see it in the ASDM. Why? Where is the difference?

Thanks in advance

Marco

are you refreshing the asdm after you enter the command in the CLI?

Yes, I do.

Any update on this issue? I am running the same versions of software and have the same issue. I add the hosts via CLI and do not seem them in ASDM. When I "Filter:" in the Addresses tool the names auto fill as if they are in the config but when I choose to filter by the name no actual hosts appear.

I opened a TAC case on this problem a few hours ago. I will update with resolution if we don't get one via the thread.

Prior to hearing back on the TAC case I stumbled up on the ASDM location command. If you update your config via command line with the ASDM location command this will make the ip names show up on the ASDM.

Brian, thank for posting your findings..

so in other words, what you are saying is if you create host entry :

name 1.1.1.1 test_description_tes

it needs to be followed

asdm localtion 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

this makes sence, just as in PIX 6.x code

pdm location 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 asdm location creates a topolocy of hosts configured in firewall and what interfaces they belong under, without location specification firewall does not have an interface to reference the host therefore does not show up in PDM or ASDM.. how could we not catch this one!, nice job Brian to find this out.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

bnpmediait
Level 1
Level 1

Per my reply earlier today use the "asdm location" command. If you add an entry for each of your network objects via CLI they will show up on ASDM.

In addition I was told in my TAC case that this will be resolved in ASDM 6.1.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: