Helpful
Replies

Specifically set AP failover to WLC

eric.huihk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

My case is like as below:

2 WLC, WLC-4402-25-1 & WLC-4402-25-2, are implementated. There are a total of 30 APs. In case that one WLC is down, the remaining WLC cannot cater for all 30 APs.

Here is my question:

Can i specifically set which AP can failover to another WLC, which AP cannot failover.

Thanks all,

Eric

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The ap's you do not want to failover, you should not configure the secondary WLC, but configure a false entry. This way those ap's try to join a WLC that is not there while the others are able to join. I believe you can also configure on the WLC which ap's can associate to that WLC.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Fella5.

Would you kindly show the configure guide that WLC can be set to let AP associate?

Thanks,

Eric

You will need a radius server, but here is a link that will walk you through it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_configuration_example09186a00808c7234.shtml

-Scott

Hi Fella,

Per you link, there is a method "Using the Internal Authorization List on the WLC" which will not need external radius server.

This solution seems workable. I will try later. Thanks.

Eric

I don't know if that will work for you, but if it does then great. like I mentioned earlier, the easiest is setting the secondary controller on the 5 ap's that you don't want to join the wlc during failover to a bogus name. this should give your ap's enough time to all join except for those 5.

-Scott

Hi Fella,

I will update you once it is workable.

Thanks.

Eric

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card