Helpful
Replies

Specifically set AP failover to WLC

eric.huihk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

My case is like as below:

2 WLC, WLC-4402-25-1 & WLC-4402-25-2, are implementated. There are a total of 30 APs. In case that one WLC is down, the remaining WLC cannot cater for all 30 APs.

Here is my question:

Can i specifically set which AP can failover to another WLC, which AP cannot failover.

Thanks all,

Eric

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The ap's you do not want to failover, you should not configure the secondary WLC, but configure a false entry. This way those ap's try to join a WLC that is not there while the others are able to join. I believe you can also configure on the WLC which ap's can associate to that WLC.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Fella5.

Would you kindly show the configure guide that WLC can be set to let AP associate?

Thanks,

Eric

You will need a radius server, but here is a link that will walk you through it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_configuration_example09186a00808c7234.shtml

-Scott

Hi Fella,

Per you link, there is a method "Using the Internal Authorization List on the WLC" which will not need external radius server.

This solution seems workable. I will try later. Thanks.

Eric

I don't know if that will work for you, but if it does then great. like I mentioned earlier, the easiest is setting the secondary controller on the 5 ap's that you don't want to join the wlc during failover to a bogus name. this should give your ap's enough time to all join except for those 5.

-Scott

Hi Fella,

I will update you once it is workable.

Thanks.

Eric

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card