Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade of dual RSP4 cards

nicolasvibert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to have some advise on what would be the safest and best way to upgrade a 7500 with dual RSP4 cards using HSA.

I want to replace the 2 RSP4 cards with 2 RSP4+ cards instead.

1) Should I turn down the router and swap the 2 cards out by the new RSP4+ cards?

2) Should I swap the standby RSP4 card by the RSP4+, force the switchover to the new RSP4+ and then replace the remaining RSP4 by the RSP4+.

The RSP4+ cards have a larger DRAM than the RSP4 cards.

Thanks for your advise,

Regards,

Nicolas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you can have a maintenance window, do .1.

This way you rule out any possibility of fight between cards, and can upgrade IOS as required.

If you cannot stop the router for 30 min, then .2.2 is the only choice. But it's more risky.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you can have a maintenance window, do .1.

This way you rule out any possibility of fight between cards, and can upgrade IOS as required.

If you cannot stop the router for 30 min, then .2.2 is the only choice. But it's more risky.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

I agree with Paolo. Just wanted to draw your attention to the fact that the RSP NVRAM holds the system configuration. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you have copied your configuration in some flash memory card to avoid unecessary downtime. I know this might sound trivial, but sometimes we might overlook some little things.

Kind Regards,

M.

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

Just wanted to clarify something. I did not mention the config backup with the usual "always keep a backup" sense. This approach holds only for the 2nd procedure. I was more refering to the 1st procedure. If you do the first procedure and turn the router on, the router will start with a clean configuration. So, if you had done the copy in some flash card, then you can copy it to the running config and save it. If you have no flash memory copy, all other options cost more downtime.

Kind Regards,

M.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card