cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN client 5.0.01.0600 is terminating

cirrushelpdesk
Level 1
Level 1

I am connecting from an XP laptop with a wired connection to my VPN 3000 concentrator using the cisco vpn client 5.0.01.0600. The client connects fine but then drops connection in about 10 min. I have no timeout settings on the concentrator. The message says

Secure VPN connection terminated locally by the Client

Reason 412: The remote peer is no longer responding

I have attached the client log as vpnlog.txt

5 Replies 5

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

This is usually caused by firewall between the client pc and the concentrator. Check that you have exceptions for the vpn client in the XP firewall.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

And if it isn't caused by an overenthusiastic XP firewall?

I have half a group that don't have problems and half that do. A variety of VPN client versions and different results that don't seem to be consistent with the version of VPN client.

Anything else that can be checked?

I do as well, it seems that the version of client that is most stable is 3.6.3 which the majority of my users have and which is why I have been hesitant to mass upgrade. The xp laptop that I am testing from has no xp firewall enabled and is behind a netopia router with the firewall turned off. I am connected to a Time Warner cable modem.

you will need to check all the firewalls between the clients and the vpn concentrator e.g. are the clients running another firewall besides xp firewall, what are the translation timeouts on the dsl\cable routers, timeout settings on the firewall just before the vpn concentrator.

How are you running your VPNs. ipsec-over-tcp, ipsec-over-udp or NAT-T. Try testing each.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

I switched my clients over to UDP/NAT and things have cleaned up significantly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: