cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using TFTP server to backup and restore

DonnaJ
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having trouble locating the backups. I installed 3CDaemon TFTP. Started the server. When to cmd and log in to the switch. enabled it, typed: copy running-config tftp: then clicked enter. entered ip address of my computer, entered filename. Where does it put this file? I'm missing something...

Thanks,

DJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DJ

One thing I notice is that the new switch is hard coded for speed and duplex but the router is not. From what you posted from the router I am guessing that it is set to negotiate speed and duplex. It can cause problems on a connection when one device is set to negotiate and the other device is hard coded. I suggest that you change the switch to negotiate

config t

interface Gig0/1

no duplex full

no speed 100

end

You can do show interface gig0/1 and see what it says about speed and duplex. Hopefully it will say auto or negotiated. (and in fact it may negotiate for Gigabit speed which might improve performance).

In your testing it is probably less important whether you can ping the switch (especially if you think that something might not be right in configuring the address on the switch). I would start testing with the command show cdp neighbor. CDP is a Cisco protocol and if the uplink is working and connection is established then both devices should see each other as CDP neighbors. If you see CDP neighbors it is a sign that the uplink is working.

Good luck in the morning.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

32 Replies 32

DonnaJ
Level 1
Level 1

It was on C drive. I look there but must of missed it.

Donna

I am glad that you found it. I believe that on the C drive is the default for 3Cdaemon. It is configurable and you can specify whatever directory you prefer. I find that software to be very useful, very dependable, and easy to use.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Now, I've got to restore the file from backup. So, I boot up the new one and set it up with net work settings and then copy the back up of running config to the new one? Is that it?

I'm going to hook the new one to my laptop and do all the config stuff, so when I that the other one offline, I can just bring the new one up. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks,

DJ

DJ

There are a couple of options for how to load the config file from the TFTP server to the switch/router. When you have the config on the hard drive of your router you are able to edit the config file (I like word pad for this) and copy and paste from the PC to the switch/router in config mode. Or as you say you can do enough initial config to assign an IP address to the interface and then do a copy tftp to get the config from the server to the switch/router. Note that to do this you must initiate the copy from the switch/router (you can not initiate the copy from the server). Also note that if you are doing a copy tftp that you can either copy it to running config or you can copy to startup config. Assuming that all the interface names and numbers are the same this is all there is to it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

HI DJ, [Pls Rate all Informative POST]

Refer Useful Link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a008020260d.shtml

Pls Rate all Informative POST

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Does it matter that the switches are different models? The new one will replace the old one, so It will be using the same settings/interfaces except I will be connecting the new switch with fiber that runs to the severroom.

New Switch:

Cisco Catalyst 3560 with Standard Image, 48 - 10/100 Power over Ethernet (PoE) Ports and 4 -SFP GBIC Ports

Old Switch:

Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series Switch - 24 ports

Thanks,

DJ

DJ

In this situation you probably can not just use the old configuration directly in the new switch. Most of the settings will be the same but there are some differences between the switches that you will need to account for. In particular the old switch had only 24 ports while the new switch has 48. I am assuming that the uplink from the old switch was a copper based access port while the new switch will be doing its uplink on one of its GBICs with fiber. The new switch supports Power Over Ethernet - it is not clear whether you intend to use it or not but that could also make a difference.

My advice now that you have the config from the old switch on the server is to make a copy of the config (you want to save an archive copy of the old config) and then edit the copy to create a config for the new switch. In editing you can create entires for the new interfaces, you can set up the uplink, and you can make any other changes that seem appropriate.

I would suggest that you boot up the new switch - without connecting any of its ports. Then connect to the console port and login to the switch. Then get into privilege mode and do a show run. This will display the basic (mostly empty) config for the new switch. It will confirm for you what the interface names are. And if there are any new features that are in the code of the new switch but are not in the code of the old switch you can decide whether any of them need to be put into the new config that you are building.

After you have edited the new config file then I would suggest cut and paste into the switch in config mode as the way to load the new config.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I'm sure I will have more questions as I tweak the configurations. Thanks! I appreciate all your help.

Thanks,

DJ

DJ

I am sure that there will be more questions. Just go ahead and post them as they come up.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Will it not pull any of the info from the router? Or must I set all the VLANs on the switch? Sorry, if that's a stupid question but I've never set one of before.

Ok, it's the interfaces that I need to setup. Can I just copy the old interface info and paste it in to the new one? How do I pasted it in? I mean where?

ok I see, I need to copy the interface info. and you say copy almost everything. I have attached the backup file from the old switch. What all can I copy and paste?

all the interface info? How are where do I paste the info in?

DJ

DJ

I see that you started a new thread about how to paste the config. I have posted an answer which I hope is helpful. If you still have questions about that feel free to ask some more.

I have looked at the config that you posted and believe that most of it can be pasted to the new switch. There are only two things that I would not paste and a couple of things you need to evaluate before pasting.

- I would not paste the line:

version 12.2

the new switch may or may not be at the same code level and the switch will put what it needs. so do not paste this.

- I would not paste the certificate information from the old switch. It is specific to the switch (especially since it is self signed). If the new switch needs certificate information it will have it.

- beyond that you should verify that the numbering of interfaces is the same between the switches (on the new switch is the first interface fastethernet0/1? If so the interfaces should translate directly. If not you may need to adjust the interface numbering.

- currently you have a trunk on interface fastethernet0/1 which appears to be your main trunk. Your post talks about the new switch doing that over fiber. So do not paste this interface config into fast0/1 of the new switch but make it the proper gig port.

- interface fastethernet0/17 has some aspects of an access port configuration and some aspects of a trunk configuration. It would be nice to clean this up before transfering to the new switch.

- as I mention in my other post the old switch has 24 ports and you indicate that the new switch has 48. If you are only going to use the first 24 for now you do not need to worry about configuring the last 24 (not until you need them).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you so much for all you help!

I'm attaching the configs for the new switch. Take a look and see if I need to remove anything or add anything.

I also removed any ip address info with *.*.2.* because this is left from the old network.

I'm not sure why interface 17 was configured that way. or way interface 22 is different. And vlan5 has to be from the old configs, because we know longer use those ip's.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: