cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5510 .. Newbie Alert

demo20dog
Level 1
Level 1

I'm scehdule dfor some training on the appliance next week. Meanwhile ..

Does the appliance_need_to be managed via the Management interface? Can I run ASDM from the inside interface w/o issue? IOW, is there a good reason for providing the management interface?

Also, I have a quad port interface card, ethernet0/0,1,2 and 3. Apparently e0/3 is not available to me via telnet or ASDM. Why not?

thnx in advance

DemoDog

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

srue
Level 7
Level 7

The management interface provides for management out of the path of normal traffic flow/data - it's sort of a pseudo out of band management option. with the right license you can configure it to pass data just like the rest of them though.

can e0/3 pass data?

you can still use the normal data interfaces for management purposes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

srue
Level 7
Level 7

The management interface provides for management out of the path of normal traffic flow/data - it's sort of a pseudo out of band management option. with the right license you can configure it to pass data just like the rest of them though.

can e0/3 pass data?

you can still use the normal data interfaces for management purposes.

Thanks for the reply, I'll assign and IP and use the inside interface for management. I have to say e0/3 won't pass traffic since I can't see it to assign an IP address. I'll speculate that it's used for failover. We do have another 5100 with the failover/redundant license which I intend to deploy in the near future.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card