cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN client disables/blocks Windows XP VPN client.

jasonnixon
Level 1
Level 1

One of our developers who uses several types of VPN clients is experiencing an issue where the Cisco client (version 5.0.01.0600) seems to be blocking her Windows VPN client from connecting to other client LANs. If we msconfig and turn off the Cisco service and reboot, Windows VPN works fine. Is there a solution to this issue? We have a work around but having to reboot to switch back and forth can be time consuming.

Thanks!

Jason

4 Replies 4

pdriscoll
Level 1
Level 1

Jason - we had the same problem. We found the Cisco VPN client stateful firewall (Options menu) was configured to always be on. Once disabled, other VPNs worked fine.

HTH, if it does, please rate. Patrick

Thank you very much Patrick for replying. This has been plaguing us for a while.

When I go to the Options menu I have only three selections.

1.Application Launcher

2.Simple Mode

3.Preferences.

Under preferences I can't find anything referring to a firewall. What am I missing. Your suggestion sounds dead on but I just don't know where to look.

I'm looking at the Cisco VPN client window but not seeing it. I also looked under Programs but only found the MTU app.

Thanks again and I appreciate your response. Look forward to hearing from you.

Jason

Jason - are you connecting to a Concentrator, a PIX, or an ASA?

Interesting, I have not encountered this problem before. If you connect the Cisco VPN tunnel, then right-click on the VPN icon in the system tray, do you see the option for the firewall?

Per Cisco: The VPN Client configuration option Stateful Firewall (Always On) is enabled on the VPN Client. This

configuration option is not negotiated. The policy is not controlled from the VPN Concentrator. The VPN Client user enables this option on the VPN Client under the Options menu or while the VPN Client is

active by right-clicking on the VPN Client icon and selecting the option.

When enabled, this feature allows no inbound sessions from all networks, whether or not a VPN connection is in effect. Also, the firewall is active for both tunneled and nontunneled traffic. Users who

enable this feature cannot have a server running on their PC and their system can no longer respond to PING requests.

Patrick, I don't see the firewall option when connected. I'm using the Cisco Systems VPN Client version 5.0.01.0600. In the task bar or in the client interface.

Also, she is being blocked from connecting when using the Windows VPN and while disconnected from Cisco client. Just with the Cisco client service enabled, it blocks the XP VPN client. If we disable the Cisco VPN client via msconfig and reboot, she can then connect to her client via XP VPN.

I may not be explaining my issue well.

Thanks again for your help.

Jason

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: