cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP Modules for 2960 GE-100FX or FE-100FX

sasklegassembly
Level 1
Level 1

We have purchased a Catalyst 2960 48 port switch I am trying to use a GE-100FX module to a 2950 100BaseFX fibre port. I get a link light but no traffic conversing. I have tried to find out if I should be using the FE or GE but can't find any relevant information... Does any one know if the GE-100FX is compatible? Thanks

8 Replies 8

pascal.coyles
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I don't have any personal experiance. But it looks like it should work.

There are some IOS limitations also depending on the switch type:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL632702.html

I know the SFP Module is compatible with the switch on the 2960 I just don't what SFP I can use the the 100BaseFx fibre port on the 2950... Don't know what the difference between the Gibabit Ethernet and the fast Ethernet 100FX module is.

The only reason to use the FE is if you're plugging the thing into one of the compact 2960 switches.

You say the interfaces are UP/UP? Could it be an interface config mismatch? Are there syslog messages corresponding to when the interfaces are connected?

The 2960 has 2 dual purpose uplink ports which require SFP modules. We have to run fibre which would require a either the GE-100FX or a FE-100Fx which are both used for fibre. Yes the interface was up and up and we had lights nothing was tranversing the ports though. Don't have a syslog server so I am not sure about errors. Nothing was reported from the console.

What do the interface configs look like? Paste them in or a 'sh int switchport'

According to the link pascal send,with 12.2.(25)fx the 2960-48tc-l is only supporting glc-fe, it's the 2960-48tc-s or 2960g48tc-l that supports either fe or ge. Can you verify what model you are using

/mike

2960g48tc-l. If I show the interface it shows the sfp module fine. Its odd I get link lights on the port after plugging in the fibre but can't get out the port.

Not sure it this will help there is nothing plugged into it right now.

Name: Gi0/1

Switchport: Enabled

Administrative Mode: dynamic auto

Operational Mode: down

Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Negotiation of Trunking: On

Access Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Administrative Native VLAN tagging: enabled

Voice VLAN: none

Administrative private-vlan host-association: none

Administrative private-vlan mapping: none

Administrative private-vlan trunk native VLAN: none

Administrative private-vlan trunk Native VLAN tagging: enabled

Administrative private-vlan trunk encapsulation: dot1q

Administrative private-vlan trunk normal VLANs: none

Administrative private-vlan trunk private VLANs: none

Operational private-vlan: none

Trunking VLANs Enabled: ALL

Pruning VLANs Enabled: 2-1001

Capture Mode Disabled

Capture VLANs Allowed: ALL

Protected: false

Unknown unicast blocked: disabled

Unknown multicast blocked: disabled

Appliance trust: none

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card