cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Update IOS

Sean McCoy
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pretty good idea what the answer will be, but here goes...is there a way to obtain IOS updates on non contract Cisco routers? We have a bunch of 2651's that Verizon had installed way back when and I'm looking to upgrade. Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sean

I suspect that the answer is what you think it is: to upgrade the software the router needs to be covered in some kind of maintenance contract. If it is currently non-contract then you need to get some kind of coverage. If Verizon installed them, was there any kind of responsibility for maintenance from Verizon?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

HI Sean,

Apart from Maintanence Contract, may be your company can pay CISCO / direct re-seller and avail the Partner Privilege level access for some Tools, preferably IOS download Options.

This way you can update all your pending Routers.

Pls Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Rick-

At the time when Verison installed the Cisco gear went in (before me),it was a program called Access NJ that provided it. There was the initial first year maintenance but it was never renewed after that. I don't know that Cisco would honor the 2651, 7206VXR, LS1010 and 3275 routers under a maintenance agreement anymore. I would rather look into that than have to deal with a T&M situation in the event of a problem.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I recall there was one exception that allowed "free" upgrades; for some IOS versions that had known security exploits, the first corrected version could be obtained. NB: Depending on the age of the various IOSs with the security issue, the first corrected version might only be found within a newer version, however, your router might have insufficient resources to run it.

I recall that hearing that as well in addition to making sure that you do not change the feature set during the upgrade. When you license IOS you pay for that feature set. So if your routers have say IP Base on them, then you should be able to do an update as long as your feature set stays IP Base.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card