cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

need to upgrade Router 3845 to 12.4(15)T need document how to Pls.?

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

Guys,

I need to upgrade a Cisco 3845 router to 12.4(15)t to support HWIC-2FE cards but need help on how to do the upgarde please. I have put the image on t heTFTp server and I an consoled in.

if there is a link for upgrading that router model please?

Please advise.

Regards,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike

You type the first command (with the name of the new image) and press enter, then you type the command a second time (with the name of the old image) and press enter. The router will process them in the order they were entered (so there is no need to specify primary or secondary).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

The basic operation is pretty simple: you copy the new image from TFTP to flash, and then you boot the router using the new image in flash.

The potential complications are related to the size of flash, the contents of flash, and whether there is room in flash for 2 copies of image files (the old image and the new image).

If you have the new image on the TFTP server then you should know its (approximate) size. If you do show flash on the router it will tell you how much is used and how much is free. If the amount free is larger than the new image size then it is easy to have 2 images in flash. If the amount free is smaller than the new image then you need to free up some space in flash before you can load the new image. There may be some other files in flash that you can delete to free up space. Or you may need to delete the old image file (in which case you wind up with only a single image in flash). You would need to figure whether you need to delete anything and if so what you will delete.

Once you have enough space in flash then you use the copy tftp: flash: command to load the image into flash.

If you wind up with only a single image in flash (the new one we assume) then it is simple to boot the new image. You reload the router and it will automatically boot the image (the only one in flash) and you should be good to go.

If there are more than one image file in flash then the router will attempt to boot the first image file that it finds - typically that would be the original image. In this case you should configure boot system commands to tell the router which image to boot. The syntax of the command is: boot system flash:

I frequently configure 2 boot system commands: first a boot system command pointing to the new image and then a boot system command pointing to the old image (just in case there is some issue in booting the new image).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for your detailed response.

how do you set two system boot commands?

I don't know of any command that can specify primary and secondary images to boot from?

Pls advise.

Mike

Mike

You type the first command (with the name of the new image) and press enter, then you type the command a second time (with the name of the old image) and press enter. The router will process them in the order they were entered (so there is no need to specify primary or secondary).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick

Mike

Mike

I am glad that my answers were helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a question and can know that they will read responses which successfully resolved the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I have a problem and thought you guys might be able to give me a hint.

I am trying to use SolarWind TFTP Server to upgarde this image c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T3.bin

its size is 50MB

and i get error. TFTP server says the file size id too big for TFTP Protocol?

what else can I use to get this done?

Thx,

Mike

Mike

I am sorry that you have run into this difficulty. I do have 2 suggestions to make. As the images get larger it becomes more of an advantage to use FTP rather than TFTP. So my first suggestion is to use FTP rather than TFTP if you have or can get an FTP server. There is an FTP server in the 3Cdaemon software which is free and I have used it with good success.

Or if getting an FTP server is an issue then I would suggest a different TFTP server. I have heard good things about the server available at:

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

I have not used it myself but I have told that it gets around the large file problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

i have WS-FTP installed on my machine an dcan use that.

what is the commands for FTP? i have not used FTP to upgarde router/switch or any IOS yet!

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Mike

Mike

The basic command is quite similar to the tftp command. Use:

copy ftp: flash:

as the basic command and follow the prompts to give address of the FTP server and the file name. The thing that makes FTP different from TFTP is that FTP has a user ID and password. There are at least 2 ways to accommodate the ID and password when using copy ftp on an IOS router. You can configure in the router a name and a password for FTP, they become part of the configuration, and the router will use these in its copy request. I frequently prefer to do this but you do not have to. There is also a possibility to append the ID and password after the ftp: in the copy command.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card