Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 DHCP Lease Switching to Infinite

gilbert.jason
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a 6509, Sup720's running 12.2-18.SXD7b.

We PXE boot a large number of machines.

We have DHCP leases set for 5 minutes. The low lease time is due to items being swapped out for sparing purposes.

They cannot use the next IP address in the scope due to the way the software is designed. They use their DHCP'd IP as part of a mount point on a RAID. I know it's odd. We have to use DHCP to get the boot string etc..B ut the IP is, for the most part, static.

After showing the bindings (a few seconds after the machine boots up), the switch shows the lease timer for 5 minutes. After less than a minute or so, the switch drops the time and switches it to "infinite" when we repeat showing the DHCP bindings.

Is Cisco's DHCP server designed to switch lease times to infinite for certain circumstances?

We can't map anything to mac addresses as we have boxes being swapped on a regular basis.

Is there a way to restart the DHCP server, on a specific pool rather than the whole server??

Much appreciated!

1 Reply 1

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

It seems to me like this could be a bug.

Try to upgrade your IOS.

BR,

Bjornarsb

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card