Is it the Aironet AP1131AG or the idiot using it... Help Pls!?

Answered Question
Feb 25th, 2008
User Badges:

I'm new to the whole Cisco wireless thing having come more from the "Apple Airport" school of wireless. I purchased two AIR-AP1131AG-N-K9 and figured I could pretty much plug & play, but months of playing and I still don't have them working? I have a couple of dumb questions and was hoping someone could throw me a line?!

All I wanted was to have a wireless node which would relay DHCP requests to my 2K3 server and allow wireless clients to connect as though they were wired (to put it simply)

I have:

- Catalyst 3560G (12.2(25)SEE2)

- AIR-AP1131AG-N-K9 (12.3(8)JEA3) x 2

The port connecting the Catalyst 3560G to the AP is configured in trunk mode. The AP has had all the security and encryption opened up for troubleshooting. I've created a SSID and assigned it to my main network VLAN (5). Can find anywhere where I define my DHCP server...

Stupid questions:

1. Will the AIR-AP1131AG-N-K9 actually do what I want or did I get the wrong thing?

2. Am I using the right IOS on the AIR-AP1131AG-N-K9?

3. I've been looking here to get hints on configuring the AP... is it the right place?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.3_8_JA/configuration/guide/1238jasc.html

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on my dilemma.

George (the idiot)

Correct Answer by Scott Fella about 9 years 4 months ago

George,

As long as you are trunking correctly, the users dhcp request will be dumped on the vlan you configured the ssid on. The management vlan should be native on the trunk and configured on the ap, other than that, try to setup a dhcp on the switch and see if the users get an ip. If they do, then you have an issue with the L3 device dropping the dhcp broadcast or you don't have vlan 5 configured on all your l2 devices.

Overall Rating: 4.5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Scott Fella Mon, 02/25/2008 - 14:15
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

George,

As long as you are trunking correctly, the users dhcp request will be dumped on the vlan you configured the ssid on. The management vlan should be native on the trunk and configured on the ap, other than that, try to setup a dhcp on the switch and see if the users get an ip. If they do, then you have an issue with the L3 device dropping the dhcp broadcast or you don't have vlan 5 configured on all your l2 devices.

grungecat Mon, 02/25/2008 - 19:16
User Badges:

Many thanks "fella5"... Based on your post I reset the config of the AP to factory default and focused on the VLAN setup while reconfiguring things... and now it works!

You're a life saver - cheers!!

Scott Fella Mon, 02/25/2008 - 19:22
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Glad you got it working... just save the config before you start changing it around.... everyone does once in a while!

Actions

This Discussion