Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 Not Authenticating TACACS+

MiniWalks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have a 3550 with ipservices 12.2(44) upgraded from c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-22.EA4.bin when the reload is completed, the switch is no longer authenticating to tacacs and failing back to the local user and password

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Mini,

Did you define source interface for tacacs authentication.

On router issue command,

ip tacacs source-interface fastethernet x/y , where interface would be the one mentioned in tacacs server.

That should fix it.

Regards,

~JG

Do rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Matthew

A logical starting place is to check to see if something in the config changed during the upgrade process. Can you tell us whether anything is different in the config after the upgrade?

Another thing to check is whether the authentication requests are getting to the server. Can you check on the server and see if the server has recognized the authentication attempt (might be in successful log or in failed log).

If those do not provide insight I would suggest running debug tacacs authentication, try to authenticate, and post the debug output.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Mini,

Did you define source interface for tacacs authentication.

On router issue command,

ip tacacs source-interface fastethernet x/y , where interface would be the one mentioned in tacacs server.

That should fix it.

Regards,

~JG

Do rate helpful posts

If you are using aaa group command, you might find its missing from the running config, see CSCsl42964.

issue has been fixed,

issue was that post upgrade the device was sending the tacacs+ request out a different interface, so that it was "seeing" the server, but unable to authenticate to it, due to the tacacs+ server having a different IP Address in its database

Thanks to all for the input

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: