cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow MWI - Unity 4.0.4 Integration changed from Ex2000 to Ex2003

j.house
Level 4
Level 4

We have a UM Unity 4.0.4 Failover Environment. MWI worked fine when integrated with Ex2000. We have migrated all users to a new Ex2003 environment and re-integrated Unity with it. MWI's are very sporadic....quite often delayed by 5 or more minutes turning on or off, sometime never sync correctly at all. Funny thing is that I can refresh the status on any subscriber and the light will respond correctly.

btw...our Outlook 2003 clients are using cached mode.

Any thoughts?

8 Replies 8

ranpierce
Level 6
Level 6

yes many thoughts.

how large are the mailboxes and mailstores of the subscribers.

This is significant.

Everytime someone opens a MAPI client such as Outlook, the mailstore of that user is indexed by Unity and depending on the size and count it could take time.

Randy

Our mailstores vary in size, max size is 16GB. Our users on average are limited to 500MB each. However this will be increased to 2GB in the near future.

Well that is over the reccomened size from Cisco and Microsoft. The only thing I can say is you are going to have to live with the delays. I had a TAC and Microsft cases open for over a year to no avail for the same reason.

When a subscriber with a large box that is indexing and is taking time. anyone that logs in at the same time will have to wail. I have had both on speaker phone and both the large and small box subscribers finish at the same time.

I will send you a doc. You will not be happy. :-)

rlp---Randy

Curious, our storage groups and number of mailstores are within MS suggested guidelines.

Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition allows a 16 TB maximum database size, and supports up to 4 storage groups with 5 databases per storage group for a total of 20 databases per server.

Please send me your doc.

All of that has nothing to do with MAPI calls to exchange. You are within the size limits however, even when Outlook starts up it indexes the mailstore of the user and there is a delay. This is not only voicemail. I could only find an old doc right now however TAC and Microsoft will stand by it.

Section 9D explains that Unified Messaging subscribers should not have Inboxes that exceed

100 MB or 1,000 messages. This is a copy and paste from

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_maintenance_g

uide_chapter09186a00801c1ebf.html#1075804

Interesting. Prior to the migration my mailbox was over 300MB and contained 13,000 messages and I never had an issue with MWI. I do have a TAC case open for this. The current status is that Unity is getting delayed notification that a new message has arrived or been read. So right now the finger is being pointed at Exchange.

and believe me microsoft will push back on cisco Unity if you open a ticket with them.

I used to work at TAC, you need to escalate if you want to get anywhere on this.

Randy

You guys are talking about two diffrent issues here. Randy, you are speaking of login delays... Where users call in to Unity and hear silence before getting to there messages.

I believe this post is about delayed MWI's or notifications.

Please see:

Message Waiting Indicators (MWIs)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/405/troubleshooting/guide/ex/tsg_0500.html

This doc may help you troubleshoot this issue.

Also note the following topic in that document:

MWI Turns On and Off Slowly After the AppleTalk Protocol Is Uninstalled on the Exchange Server

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: