Views
Helpful
Replies

RME 4.0.5 - Devices in Pending state for long periods

Jeff Law
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We run LMS 2.6 on Windows 2003 and we have started noticing in recent times, that any new devices added to CiscoWorks can sometimes take hours to be fully added. In the past, this would take less than 5 minutes, now it is taking hours. This is not all the time, but it does appear to be getting more frequent.

I am not seeing any corresponding high level of CPU utilization, or NIC activity.

What is there that I can check to see the progress of a device being added that may give me inofrmation as to what is going on (or not as the case may be)?

We currently have 2056 devices configured, of which 1868 are in Normal state, 4 are in Pending, and 186 are Pre-deployed.

Regards

Jeff

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Devices in a pending state will remain there until both the inventory and config fetch operations complete. If one is taking a long time, then so will overall management processing. The IC_Server.log and dcmaservice.log will indicate which of the two is taking a long time.

Thanks for that. That is what I was looking for.

I have added a device, and been watching these files to see when it appears.So far it has been 1/2 hour, and still no sign of it in either file. Must be a back log some where.

Looking through the file I notice that there are a lot of timeouts occurring. We have 181 devices predeployed, and these are the ones that are timing out. It seems to take about 5 minutes for the thread to time out, so I am wondering if these devices are causing the problem.

These servers work on a queue. If they are already processing devices, new devices are added to the end of the queue, and processed when the other devices have finished. Timeouts are clearly bad. With ICServer, the only thing that could be timing out is SNMP. So verify your credentials are correct, and check the network for any potential bottlenecks (yeah, that can suck).

With ConfigMgmtServer, the issue can be with any of the configured config fetch protocols. Ideally, this list should be limited to only the protocols that will work in your network with the ones most likely to hit at the top. Beyond that, the same thing applies as with SNMP: make sure the credentials are good, and check the network.

I deleted all the devices in the "Predeployed" state. Thankfully, once that took effect, all new devices that are added get processed straight away (well within 5 minutes).

We have changed our processes now so that devices are now added to CiscoWorks only when physically connected on site, rather than when configured and tested before shipping them out.

Thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: