Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing catalyst 3560 from cisco 7507

Leeyoungsoo
Level 1
Level 1

Dear experts,

I have Cisco 7507 router that it connect ISP and it works on BGP routing table.

But We don`t have space so I`m planing to replace the cisco 7507 to Catalyst3560 switch.

The switch has IP base IOS version.

Does it possible to work well on catalyst3560 switch on the BGP routing?

Does any one know about this case?

Thanks advance.

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In general, moving from a 7507 to a 3560 might disappoint since they are so different in their orientation. The 7507 was a high end WAN router, the 3560 is a small L3 switch.

I don't believe the base IOS for a 3560 supports BGP. Also believe, the 3560 doesn't support WAN type interface technologies.

Depending on your bandwidth to your ISP, a WAN oriented router might be a better replacement, even a correctly sized ISR. (The latest 3800 series have PPS ratings of the older 7200 NPEs.) If your hand off to/from your ISP is Ethernet, another option might be using a Metro Ethernet switch, e.g. 3750 Metro Series.)

Thanks josephdoherty !

of course we are going to use metro ethernet.

If I use Metro Ethernet from ours ISP,Catalyst 3560 has work well?

Thanks again

Hi,

If you are going to use methroethernet P2P link and terminating directly @ to Switch Catalyst switch, It will work well and show best performance. Cisco 6500 switch is best player in metroethernet connectivity.Although

No routers are required with Metro Ethernet connection.

Any multilayer switch( Preferable Cisco) will be suitable for Metroethernet. I will suggest 6500 Multilayer cisco switch

Best player in Metroethernet connectivity

Thanks for your help.

If I use to connect a Catalyst3560 switch on the metroethernet,Does it will work well?

Do I get some documents about the performance on cisco 7513 and Catalyst3560?

Thanks again

Regards

Hi Leeyoungsoo,

I would not suggest cisco 3560 switch on the metroethernet because Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series is a line of fixed-configuration and enterprise-class switches.This is switch is ideal for access layer in small enterprise LAN access and branch-office environments.I would advice you to use Catalyst 3750 Metro Series switches are premier multilayer switches that intelligence to the metro Ethernet edge and enabling the delivery of more differentiated metro Ethernet services. The Cisco Catalyst 3750 Metro Series offers a cost-effective.

rate if it is useful.

Regards

Pawan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: