Helpful
Replies

VTP Domain question, collapsed Backbone

Willem de Groot
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have to redesign our network.

Reading lots of books, there are still questions...

Suppose I have a classic collapsed backbone with a Server farm and a access layer for the users.

The server will be in one VLan (= /24 subnet), the users in multiple other VLans.

Are the Server farm and the User Vlans in the same or in diferent VTP Domains?

Is it at all possible to have multiple VTP domains in a collapsed Backbone?

Thanks

Willem

2 Replies 2

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can as many VTP domains as you like. Remember that VTP is a tool to manage VLANs and trunks. If you have a small network, it is common to have just one VTP domain. For better security (and other reasons) it's suggested not to use VTP and just use transparent mode.

HTH

derrickc
Level 1
Level 1

A switch can only be part of one VTP domain at any given time, however, you can have multiple VTP domains in your network. As the previous post states, VTP is used to manage VLANS. So, if you have VTP Domain A, switches that are part of that VTP domain will monitor VLANs associated with VTP Domain A. Switches in VTP Domain B will monitor VLANs associated with VTP domain B.

The main purpose of VTP is to keep you from manually having to configure the same VLANs on a bunch of switches. Depening on the size of your network and how often VLANs change, it may or may not be worth using VTP.

If you do use VTP, be careful if you are changing parameters in a live environment...you can lose all of your VLANs...I've done that before and it wasn't fun.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: