cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

subnetting

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, what is the main reason for subnetting ?

8 Replies 8

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I would say there are many reasons that one would subnet their network. I think the main reason is the divide the network up or to provide a certain number of IP addresses for each subnet for a client. Let's say a business asks you to provide 12 addresses for three groups, admin, server and payroll. They provide an address 192.168.0.1/24, you know the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, if you change the subnet mask to 255.255.255.240, you now have divided the IP into 16 subnet with 14 host per subnet. You can now provide the client with what they requested. HTH

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Carl

I would say that two of the main reasons for subnetting are,

1. The conservation of IP addresses

2. To limit the scope of broadcast domains.

Best Regards,

Michael

shane.kearney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Think of a point-to-point link between two routers, say the network number for that link is 65.36.134.15 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, this allows for 254 hosts!!! so why would you waste 254 addresses on a point-to-point link, this is what I would do, take the address 65.36.134.15 and further subnet the address to 255.255.255.252 this mask allows for 2 hosts which is all that is needed on a point-to-point link.

Subnetting conserves an IP address which is good to a certain extent, meaning when designing a network leave room for scalability by choosing the correct mask.

Subnetting is hard at the start but is fun too keep at it. winners dont quit

I cant think of One Main Reason. there are many few i can list.

Unless you wish to change the interpretation of your assigned network number, you do not have to define a subnet mask. The decision to subnet is commonly driven by topological or organizational considerations.

The topological reasons for subnetting include:

Overcoming distance limitations

Some network hardware has very strict distance limitations. Ethernet is the most common example. The maximum length of a "thick" Ethernet cable is 500 meters; the maximum length of a "thin" cable is 300 meters; the total length of an Ethernet, called the maximum diameter, is 2500 meters. If you need to cover a greater distance, you can use IP routers to link a series of Ethernet cables. Individual cable still must not exceed the maximum allowable length, but using this approach, every cable is a separate Ethernet. Therefore the total length of the IP network can exceed the maximum length of an Ethernet.

Interconnecting dissimilar physical networks

IP routers can be used to link together networks that have different and incompatible underlying network technologies.

Filtering traffic between networks

Local traffic stays on the local subnet. Only traffic intended for other networks is forwarded through the gateway.

Subnetting is not the only way to solve topology problems. Networks are implemented in hardware and can be altered by changing or adding hardware, but subnetting is an effective way to overcome these problems at the TCP/IP software level.

Of course, there are non-technical reasons for creating subnets. Subnets often serve organizational purposes such as:

Simplifying network administration

Subnets can be used to delegate address management, troubleshooting, and other network administration responsibilities to smaller organizations within the overall organization. This is an effective tool for managing a large network with a limited staff. It places the responsibility for managing the subnet on the people who benefit from its use.

Recognizing organizational structure

The structure of an organization (or simply office politics) may require independent network management for some divisions. Creating independently managed subnets for these divisions is preferable to having them go directly to an ISP to get their own independent network numbers.

Isolating traffic by organization

Certain organizations may prefer to have their local traffic isolated to a network that is primarily accessible only to members of that organization. This is particularly appropriate when security is involved. For example, the payroll department might not want their network packets on the engineering network, where some clever person could figure out how to intercept them.

Isolating potential problems

If a certain segment is less reliable than the remainder of the net, you may want to make that segment a subnet. For example, if the research group puts experimental systems on the network from time to time, or experiments with the network itself, this part of the network will be unstable. You would make it a subnet to prevent experimental hardware or software from interfering with the rest of the network.

Also you may find more information on the below link.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5034563.html

Regards,

Pravin..

sorry but did i get the question wrong ?

Never mind Pravin, looks like there's a lot of confusion wrt the rating.

Good explaination. 5 points from my side.

-> Sushil

Hey thanks Sushil.

I thought i got the question wrong.. Was thinking if i had to expain only one main point.

dilanperera2
Level 1
Level 1

Subnetting is the process of subdividing a given network address to smaller sub networks. In order to create sub networks, we borrow bits from the host portion of a given network address.This helps us preserve network addresses and to be efficient in the allocation of ip addresses.

https://ippacket.com.au/lesson/subnetting/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card