cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUOM 2.01 ip phone monitoring & discovery prerequisite.

ninosalvati
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all.

I want ask you some informations about CUOM prerequisite.

If I have a very large network infrastructure with a lot of switches and also not cisco devices, may I have to configure the SNMP read only Community and the CDP on ALL switches, or only on the first switch where CUOM is attached on and on the last switch where the IP PHONES are attached??

I have the following enviroment:

1]CUOM 2.01 with SP1 and all cisco patches for 2.01 release, on windows 2003 standard edition R2.

2]CCM(call manager) linux version 6.0.1.2000-3

3]The CUOM monitor and discovery correctly the CALL MANAGER (adding http credential and snmp RO community)

4]The CUOM monitor and discovery the FIRST and LAST cisco switch on which SNMP community & CDP are enabled.

5]The ip phones models are supported.

The problem is that the CUOM doesn't discovery and add to monitoring the ip PHONES that are attached to last cisco swicth.

So I don't understand HOW the CUOM discovery and add the ip PHONES.

Does the CUOM add the IP PHONE BY CALL MANAGER or BY swicthes??

May I have to enable SNMP and CDP on ALL switches/routers ?

Thank you in advance.

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Nino,

Yes, CDP and SNMP need to be enabled :)

If Operations Manager is going to discover the network through an automated

discovery process, then CDP should be enabled on all the Cisco devices.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6491/ps6705/ps6535/prod_white_paper0900aecd8046fe82.pdf

If CDP is not enabled on a device, Operations Manager cannot perform an automated network discovery and cannot gather information about Cisco IP Phones connected to these devices.

For Operations Manager to manage and monitor devices successfully, the following conditions should be met:

SNMP v3 credentials1 or SNMP v2 read community string must be configured on each device.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6491/ps6705/ps6535/ps7121/prod_white_paper0900aecd8067e2e6.pdf

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Thnak you for replay.

Yes I know the requisite.

The problem is that the CUOM doesn't discovery and add to monitoring the ip PHONES that are attached to last cisco swicth.

Because for security & management issue We can't enable CDP on all switches/router.

So I added manualy to DCR, the first(CUOM attached) and the last cisco swicthes(IP PHONES attached) and They have SNMP and CDP enable.

So i think that it could be enough for IP PHONES discovery to works right.

I dont believe that CISCO say that "WE MUST enable CDP and SNMP on ALL DEVICES of my network."

I don't understand if is necassary for ALL or only for particular/strategic/special devices.

Thank you

Phones are discovered by adding the CUCM into CUOM. If the phones are registered to a CUCM already being monitored by CUOM then to troubleshoot see if the phone shows up in the snmpwalk of ccmphonetable (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.156.1.2.1). The only reason we ask that CDP is enabled on the switch is if you do a discovery by CDP hop count or you want the switch information to show in the phone report (switch ip, phone port, etc.). If you want the switch information to show in the phone report then you have to have CDP enabled on the switch and add the switch into CUOM.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: