cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Geographic Failover

netsec123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I have an oldie but a goodie... NY and Phil are interconnected via DS3. In Phil. the DS3 terminates on the SAME router as the INTERNET circuit!! In NY, there are two separate routers for redundant Internet links; both 45Mb. IF THE INTERNET TOTALLY GOES DOWN IN NYC, we want to route NYC users to Phil. Also, we would like to have "clients" who use services come IN via the Philly link - but that's a separate isses I believe. Finally, if the Internet goes down in Philly, we want to automatically route users in Philly to the NY Internet via the dedicated DS3. Is the best way to do this centered on "route reachability" in BGP??? Please help.

3 Replies 3

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You didn't mention the following;

- Where does the DS3 that comes from PHIL terminates in NY?

- Do you have your own AS number and IP block which you can use at both site (NY and PHIL) for BGP peering with upstream?

- Thus the clients connection is thru Internet or a private link?

- If the clients connection is thru private link, does it terminates in the internet routers or another router? What is the link type? Leased Line? ATM? MPLS?

I suggest you draw your existing network showing NY and PHIL, their connection with each other, their connection to internet, clients connection, etc...and post it in JPG format (not Visio)

Take note that when BGP multihoming, BGP allows us total control of outgoing traffic but not for incoming traffic. If it allows us total control in both direction, the internet will be chaotic - NOC's will be busy 24x7 fighting for control.

Regards,

Dandy

Hi. I am attaching a .pdf...

We has our own AS # - on diagram...

Let me know what u think and THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I think you have another post with the same topic. I recognize the diagram :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card