Does extending fiber makes more sense than microwave in this case?

Answered Question
Feb 26th, 2008

Folks, new facility (construction hasn't started yet).

I am planning to extend two conduits for fiber between building A and building B. My intention is to let the second conduit for redundancy in case the first one goes down the hill. Distance from building A to building B is about 400 feet.

Instead of extending fiber as the backup link, anyone there has seen microwave stations deployed instead? Does it make sense (from cost and reliability) stand point in this case? I figure that I would need less $10K to extend fiber at this distance so I would like to know if anyone there can imagine there microwave stations could turn out to be more cost effective than fiber.

Instead of extending fiber for the backup

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by lamav about 8 years 9 months ago

Mr. News:

I worked extensively with microwave radios and I would recommend extending the fiber.

With microwave radio, you will have to worry about the cost of the units at both ends, as well as maintenance and repair. The link will also be vulnerable to atmospheric conditions, of course.

Now, you should do a cost analysis, of course, but thinking about this off the cuff, I would say that extending the fiber and deferring maintenance and repair to the carrier is your best bet.

HTH

Please rate this post if it helped you.

Victor

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
lamav Wed, 02/27/2008 - 06:42

Mr. News:

I worked extensively with microwave radios and I would recommend extending the fiber.

With microwave radio, you will have to worry about the cost of the units at both ends, as well as maintenance and repair. The link will also be vulnerable to atmospheric conditions, of course.

Now, you should do a cost analysis, of course, but thinking about this off the cuff, I would say that extending the fiber and deferring maintenance and repair to the carrier is your best bet.

HTH

Please rate this post if it helped you.

Victor

Actions

This Discussion