Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3620 NM-HSSI interface has high input error rate

jackson.ku
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

My Cisco 3620 NM-HSSI interface has high input errors. There are no input errors if replaced with Cisco 7206 router. The CCO mention if NM-HSSI part number is 800-03616-01, it will have performance problem ( http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_field_notice09186a0080094c9f.shtml ). But my NM-HSSI part number is 800-03616-02, it was no problem. Attachment is the Cisco 3620 show tech information. Please help to resolve this problem.

Best Regards,

Jackson Ku

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Look at attached document. Maximum PPS for 3620 is between 20,000 and 40,000.

HSSI/DS3 can be 70,000 monodirectional, twice in full duplex.

Even for the much newer ISR platform, the recommended platform for DS3 are the 38xx.

You can try shaping or policing traffic on the other end, but certainly is not a good solution.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

usually these problems appears during bursts of traffic, the 3620 is a slow router and can have trouble in keeping up. In other words, the 3620 is not adequate for HSSI, and you should use a faster router.

Try upgrading IOS to 12.4(3j), but is not said that will resolve the problem.

Hi,

Can I increase HSSI interface input buffer or tune some parameter to mitigate the problem? Can I find any document in CCO to prove the 3620 is not adequate for HSSI?

Best Regards,

Hi,

Can I increase HSSI interface input buffer or tune some parameter to mitigate the problem? Can I find any document in CCO to prove the 3620 is not adequate for HSSI?

Best Regards,

Hi,

Best Regards,

Hi,

Look at attached document. Maximum PPS for 3620 is between 20,000 and 40,000.

HSSI/DS3 can be 70,000 monodirectional, twice in full duplex.

Even for the much newer ISR platform, the recommended platform for DS3 are the 38xx.

You can try shaping or policing traffic on the other end, but certainly is not a good solution.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card