cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS upgrade path for 2950 switches?

ocicat002
Level 1
Level 1

I have a number of base c2950-24 Catalyst switches which originally had the Standard Image (SI) feature sets installed -- c2950-i6q4l2. From what I see in the Upgrade Guide, SSH support is only available in models supporting Enhanced Images:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/191.pdf

I'm confused by what IOS images I find available as I see:

C2950 EI & SI Crypto

C2950 EI & SI Crypto & Web-based Device Manager

C2950 EI & SI

C2950 EI & SI & Web-based Device Manager

I understand that the "Web-based Device Manager" tar file has updated HTML files included with the binary IOS image, but if SSH support is only available with 2950's only supporting enhanced images (EI), why does the first update listed above state EI & *SI* Crypto?

Am I correct in stating that the my base model 2950's can only use the c2950-i64l2 images?

What would happen if I install a c2950-i6k212q4-mz (EI) image on a base model?

I'm confused by Cisco's packaging...

Thanks for any insight which clarifies Cisco's intention.

4 Replies 4

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

IOS Feature Set

1. C2950 EI AND SI IOS CRYPTO AND WEB BASED DEVICE MANAGER

- SSH and WEB

- File extension is .tar

- c2950-i6k2l2q4-tar.version.tar

2. C2950 EI AND SI IOS CRYPTO IMAGE

- SSH and CLI (no WEB)

- File extension is .bin

- c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.version.bin

3. C2950 EI AND SI IOS IMAGE

- CLI (no SSH and WEB)

- File extension is .bin

- c2950-i6q4l2-mz.version.bin

4. C2950 EI AND SI IOS IMAGE AND WEB BASED DEVICE MANAGER

- CLI and WEB (no SSH)

- File extension is .tar

- c2950-i6q4l2-tar.version.tar

The Images have both EI and SI capability.

i6k2l2q4 stand for 3DES Cryptographic Images. Only EI capable switches can run cryptographic images. See below...

1. SI features for WS-C2950-12 and WS-C2950-24 and WS-C2950SX-24 models

- These models can only run SI feature of images mentioned above (EI & SI in 1-2-3-4)

2. EI features for WS-C2950C-24, WS-C2950T-24,WS-C2950G-12-EI, WS-C2950G-24-EI, WS-C2950G-24-EI-DC and WS-C2950G-48-EI models and all 2955 models

- These models can run both SI and EI feature of the images mentioned above (EI & SI in 1-2-3-4)

Regards,

Dandy

Okay, let me ask the question in a different manner.

If the base C2950-24 model can only run Standard Images (SI), is it possible to load the EI & SI Crypto image, & what benefit is there to doing so?

Auxiliary question: if the base C2960-24 model can only run SI images, why is there not an image available with only SI capability?

I think the SI and EI being bundled together cuts down on the amount of images that is needed . The image checks your switch I believe and will either enable or disable the EI feature set based on that result.

The reason that I am getting ready to put the crypto image on my 2950sx switches is that it will enable ssh. That is the only functionailty that is different on this model I think.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is really only 2 images for this switch either crypto or non crypto images . When the IOS loads it checks to see what switch version it is actually loading and only uses the features pertaining to that switch . As far ssh on base model can't say for sure as we only have EI switches and ssh works fine on those , load up a crypto image and see if ssh is available on standard models. Seeing that it says EI and SI crypto image I would suspect that ssh is available.

Ok found this in the release notes.

The cryptographic SI and EI support the Secure Shell Version 2 (SSHv2) protocol.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: