cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MVRF over dot1q interfaces

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Attached is the network connectivity showing the connectivity between our CE's and the PE's

All sites which have a ethernet lastmile are terminated on a switch which is then trunked to the PE. Subinterfaces are used on the PE to create BGP adjacencies between the CE and the PE

Now i have to connect another site again via EoSDH. This site needs to be MVRF capable and hence i am planning to use subinterfcaes and dot1q even on the CE to segregate the traffic.

Will the CE-PE peering work if i just create a dot1q trunk on the agg switch towards the CE as well or do i need some other configuration

Narayan

9 Replies 9

olorunloba
Level 5
Level 5

Yes, it should work. Remember to update the vlan database with the vlans you will be using on the CE.

Do you mean the switch?

on the CE it would just be a dot1q vlan tag

Narayan

Yes, I was refering to the switch.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Narayan

Funnily enough i have just been doing something similiar in our lab because i need to do the same kind of thing.

In answer to your question yes you need to make the link from your agg switch to your new CE an 802.1q trunk and then obviously apply the subinterfaces and vlan interfaces into the relevant vrf's.

This type of setup worked well in my lab using a mixture of 7200/2600 routers and 3560 switches.

I would like to say it has gone well in production but i'm having issues with my SP getting some answers on QOS/Shaping/subinterfaces so i might be picking your brains on that if you don't mind.

Jon

Hi Narayan and Jon,

I am doing some research on this topic as well,so I thiought I would just tag along with your post. You mentioned that the second CE needs to have mvrf. Are you going to use vrf light on the CE as well or just sub-interface and no vrf-light?

I am trying to find out if I will needvrf-lite configuraed on the CE to make it work.

thanks,

Arana

Olorunloba and Jon,

Thanks for confirming that it works..

I do not have the hardware to simulate it now. I will have this post marked to resolved when i successfully test it myself :-)

Jon, drop me a mail and i would be glad to assist you with whatever i can

Arana, yes i will be using VRF lite (MVRF) on the CE's. This is the only reason to run dot1q to the switch.

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

If i wanted to use just static route between the CE & PE router is it necessary to use vef-lite?

thanks

Arana

Arana,

We need to know more about your requirement and i would suggest you have it as a seperate post

VRF lite does not mean that you always need a routing protocol. PE-CE relationship can be done even with statics

Narayan

Narayan, thanks. yup I was thinking of opening a new post. will do.

thanks

Arana

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: