Views
Helpful
Replies

How to monitor bit rate on a port over extended period of time

rblankers
Level 1
Level 1

Should be an easy one...

I need to get an idea of how much traffic is passing over a gi port on my 4006, over an 8 hour period. Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Enable SNMP on the switch and then follow the config guide for MRTG. It will walk you through the steps for getting it up and running

Brandon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here's one free option.

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

I am somewhat familiar with mtrg, but I'm not sure how I get that setup for my 4006 Switch...

Enable SNMP on the switch and then follow the config guide for MRTG. It will walk you through the steps for getting it up and running

Brandon

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Another option, if just one (or few) time(s), your can access the box at the beginning and end of the 8 hour period, and the needed interface stats are available; just note bytes counts at both times, the deltas answer your question.

Thanks guys. I am going to setup MRTG so I have a long term solution. I already get this info from Network Assistant on my 3550's, but the 4006 won't play...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card