Wireless Authentication/Security Design questions

Answered Question

Wireless newbie here...I was required to quicky stand up a wireless deployment at a new warehouse/office building. I have the basic network up and working. My remote AP's have associated with the 2106 in the main office and users can associate and authenticate with the 1130G AP's and can access the office network. I did the basic configs and am now looking to tighten up security. My questions are as follows:

1) The user clients are Dell Laptops with integrated wireless. They authenticate using LEAP..how do I migrate to EAP or do I need to. I have a Cisco ACS doing RADIUS authentication now.

2) Should I be using some kind of supplicant client on the laptops?

3) How do I filter mac's so rogue AP's and rogue clients cant try and associate.

4) Am I correct in assuming the connections between the 1130 AP's and 2106 are secured and if so do I need to tweak anything to tighten them up?

5) I have an AP in the main office building that I want to setup to detect rogue AP's. Do I have it associate as a regular AP and push some kind of policy to turn it into a detector?

I have attached a diagram to help explain. Any help would be appreciated.

v/r

Chad

Correct Answer by Richard Atkin about 9 years 3 months ago

1. LEAP is a form of EAP, so you must already have something terminating your EAP sessions. The WLC can do this to some extent, or ACS. Which one you chose will be based upon your requirements for manageability, scalability and feature-richness. I would suggest that PEAP-MSCHAPv2 provides a good balance of usability and security, and is significantly better than LEAP.

2. No, stick with Windows XP SP2 supplicant. This can be configured using domain policy (2k3 SP1 or better) and is pretty good. Just make sure your laptops have new Intel drivers on them. Dell in particular have been quite bad with sending out old drivers in the builds.

3. MAC authentication is now lergely regarded as a waste of time. It is so easy to spoof a MAC address it's ridiculous, and it's a fair amount of work for the admin(s).

4. The LWAPP tunnel encrypts all management / config / security related traffic between the AP and WLC, while user data is simply encapsulated in LWAPP, so it can potentially be read if packets are captured.

5. All APs will do rogue detection, don't really need to have dedicated APs unless you're REALLY paranoid. Main benefit is quicker detection, but drawback is that the 'detector' AP won't serve clients.

Regards,

Richard

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Rob Huffman Wed, 02/27/2008 - 17:25
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

Hi Chad,

You have a rare opportunity right now to pick a true experts brain. You should post these questions to Neil in the current Cisco "Ask the Expert" event;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=Security%20and%20Network%20Management&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cbfadd7

Hope this helps!

Rob

Correct Answer
Richard Atkin Sun, 03/02/2008 - 09:26
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

1. LEAP is a form of EAP, so you must already have something terminating your EAP sessions. The WLC can do this to some extent, or ACS. Which one you chose will be based upon your requirements for manageability, scalability and feature-richness. I would suggest that PEAP-MSCHAPv2 provides a good balance of usability and security, and is significantly better than LEAP.

2. No, stick with Windows XP SP2 supplicant. This can be configured using domain policy (2k3 SP1 or better) and is pretty good. Just make sure your laptops have new Intel drivers on them. Dell in particular have been quite bad with sending out old drivers in the builds.

3. MAC authentication is now lergely regarded as a waste of time. It is so easy to spoof a MAC address it's ridiculous, and it's a fair amount of work for the admin(s).

4. The LWAPP tunnel encrypts all management / config / security related traffic between the AP and WLC, while user data is simply encapsulated in LWAPP, so it can potentially be read if packets are captured.

5. All APs will do rogue detection, don't really need to have dedicated APs unless you're REALLY paranoid. Main benefit is quicker detection, but drawback is that the 'detector' AP won't serve clients.

Regards,

Richard

Actions

This Discussion