cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration off of Vlan 1

Jason Fraioli
Level 3
Level 3

CDP, VTP and numerous other services ride on Vlan 1 by default. If I create a new "management" vlan and put an IP address on that vlan, how do those previously mentioned services communicate with each other?

Is there a "default vlan #" command that will force all that "management" traffic onto a vlan other than vlan 1?

I guess my question is, can I migrate those management processes off of vlan 1 and leave user traffic on vlan 1?

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jason

Vlan 1 will always be used for CDP/VTP/PagP packets even if you change the management vlan to something else. Management in this context means a vlan used to remotely access and administer the switch not management in terms of CDP/VTP/PagP.

So no you cannot move this type of traffic off vlan 1. And you shouldn't really use vlan for user traffic or unused ports either. In fact if you can try not to use vlan 1 for anything that is under your control.

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card