cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade Question

Jayd000007
Level 1
Level 1

I want to Upgrade my Cisco 2811 IOS from currently 12.3(8) T7 to 12.4.

When i used the Cisco Software Advisor all seems to be fine, but i got the following Warning:

"This image requires more memory than currently (as per show version) installed on your device. If you select this image, please upgrade your memory before upgrading to it."

The minimum Flash stated for the newer version is 64.

When i do a show version i get "62592K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)"

Does that mean i need to buy new flash memory?

8 Replies 8

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI Jay, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

In the Software advisory tool before downloading the IOS software there will be a message screen provided information about Minimum Memory Requriement.

Your POST says, the enough memory is not available for the Upgrade.

If only the Minimum Memory Requirement is acheived the IOS is advisable to Upgrade. Elsewhere will involve some memory failures during the production stage.

YES, please Upgrade the FLASH Memory via your AMC Provider or with the help of some CISCO RE-SELLER.

Hope i am informative.

PLS RATE if HELPS

Best Regarsd,

Guru Prasad R

Wow that was fast.

So i need to Upgrade the flash say from "62592K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)" to 128mb??

Thank you again.

Jay

Actually there are at least 2 kinds of memory in the Cisco router. There is flash memory where the image is stored and there is RAM (or DRAM) where the processing takes place. The error message that you received is about RAM and not about flash. It looks to me (based on what is in the post) that your flash is ok but you need to upgrade your RAM.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ok Guys, here is a screenshot of the software Adviser and show version:

------------------ show version ------------------

Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.3(8)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

XXX uptime is 5 weeks, 5 days, 17 hours, 57 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c2800nm-spservicesk9-mz.123-8.T7.bin"

Cisco 2811 (revision 53.51) with 251904K/10240K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FHK0916F03B

2 FastEthernet interfaces

62 Serial interfaces

1 terminal line

2 Channelized E1/PRI ports

1 cisco service engine(s)

DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity enabled.

239K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

62592K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

HI Jay,

In addition to the RICK's POST.

I would say, check with your AMC Provider / with some CISCO Reseller for both RAM as well as FLASH requirements.

Rate all INFORMATIVE POST

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Jay

I find the screenshot from the software advisor a bit puzzling. I am not sure whether that warning is just standard format on that screen or whether it really was put there for your particular situation.

I do note that warning #6 appears for both DRAM and for flash. And the stated requirements of 256 DRAM and 64 flash seem clearly to be met on your router. I believe that you can go ahead with the software upgrade without a hardware upgrade.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you both guys, i will do a memory upgrade just to be safe.

Really this Forum is THE BEST!!!.

I agree with Rick that is looks like you have sufficient system resources, although if flashing routers is new to you, two issues you might bump into.

The current version also uses flash RAM and it isn't uncommon to have insufficient space for the old and the new. This is addressed by removal of the prior version before loading the new (and hoping the router doesn't crash during the load process - usually doesn't).

The latter routers often have an advanced web package installed in flash. If you're really tight on flash, you might not have enough space for your image and this web package. Solution in this case is format the flash before you load the new image.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco