Views
Helpful
Replies

backup problems in LMS3.0.1

davidharan1
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

since upgrading to LMS3.0.1, backups don't seem to be working properly.

despite stating 5 generations in Common Services > Server > Admin > Backup... only a single backup is being maintained and being overwritten each time the backup schedule runs.

additionally, the error message below appears after each backup attempt.

Starting database engine dfmFhEng

ERROR(951): Fatal error: Database engine 'dfmFhEng' could not be started on database 'dfmFhDb' in Bulk mode..

Backup failed: 2008/02/26 00:12:55

have attached the dbbackup.log.

anyone seen this before?

23 Replies 23

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This indicates the backup is not running properly. Shutdown dmgtd, and post the list of contents under NMSROOT/databases/dfmFh.

thanks for your response!

do you need the actual file/s? or is the info below useful?

D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\databases\dfmFh>dir

Volume in drive D is CiscoWorks

Volume Serial Number is 68BC-4E57

Directory of D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\databases\dfmFh

29-Feb-08 15:56

29-Feb-08 15:56

29-Feb-08 15:56 87,052,288 dfmFh.db

31-Jan-08 15:01

orig

1 File(s) 87,052,288 bytes

3 Dir(s) 7,778,803,712 bytes free

D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\databases\dfmFh>

One of two things could be wrong here. Either the database is corrupt, or the password is bad. Try changing the password using NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\dbpasswd.pl dsn=dfmFh first. Then try restarting dmgtd, and see if you are able to complete the backup. If not, try reinitializing this database:

NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=dfmFh dmprefix=FM

sorry for the slow reply, just returned to work this morning.

the weekly backup completed ok this morning (backup status = 'successful', and DFM backup folder seems an appropriate size, log attached, dbbackup2.txt), after having failed every week since the upgrade to LMS3.0.1 with the same error code as advised previous.

i didn't get the chance to attempt your two suggestions, however i have made changes since the last unsuccessful backup in relation to other DFM problems I've been having (rediscovered devices remain 'stuck in learning', cannot delete devices, they stay 'pending');

- removed TSM (Tivoli Backup software)

- renamed .dll's msvcm80.dll, msvcp80.dll & msvcr80.dll with version higher than 8.0.50727.42

- deleted DFM.rps & DFM1.rps from NMSRoot/objects/smarts/local/repos/icf/ as per CSCsi01966 (note these .rps files have not been recreated so far)

- rebooted CiscoWorks server & restarted dmgtd several times

so, it would seem my effort to resolve the other DFM issues have instead resolved the backup issue, whilst the original issues remain. i didn't mention the other issues as you've covered them in some detail in this forum already and i now have a TAC case open for them (SR 608049289) however it is currently progressing very very slowly.

any other feedback you can provide would be most helpful.

log attachment, as per previous message

You have not completed all the necessary steps. When you remove the .rps files, you must also reinitialize your Sybase DFM databases. The command I gave you previously will handle the FH database, but you also need to run the same commands for dsn=dfmEpm dmprefix=EPM and dsn=dfmInv dmprefix=INV.

Now, if the .rps files are not coming back, you still have a DLL conflict problem. Renaming the DLLs may not be good enough if they are under C:\WINDOWS. IT would be better to move them out of the way, or remove them entirely.

i've now completed the following steps;

-deleted all copies of msvcm80.dll, msvcp80.dll & msvcr80.dll on the server besides those within the following 4 x CiscoWorks folders. all of these copies are version 8.0.50727.42

D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\lib\vbroker\bin

D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\objects\smarts\bin

D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\objects\smarts\lib

D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\objects\smarts\system

-stopped the daemon manager, i.e. net stop crmdmgtd

-re-initialised the DFM database as per the following commands...

d:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\bin\perl d:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\bin\dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=dfmInv dmprefix=INV

d:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\bin\perl d:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\bin\dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=dfmFh dmprefix=FH

d:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\bin\perl d:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\bin\dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=dfmEpm dmprefix=EPM

-rebooted the server (system reports DFMCTMStartup, UTManager are down...)

-imported 2 x devices into DFM from the DCR

and unfortunately, both devices are stuck in learning, and no new DFM.rps or DFM1.rps files have been created in D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\objects\smarts\local\repos\icf

any ideas?

check if any .NET2.0 SP1 or .NET3.0 SP1 is installed on the server; if yes, uninstall these patches, shutdown dmgtd (net stop crmdmgtd) and reboot the server; delete the 2 devices form DFM and re-add them.

thanks for your feedback mermel,

i checked the following registry entries to see if i have .NET 2.0 sp1 installed.. but i don't. i understand the 'sp' value would be '1' if sp1 was installed.

any other ideas? do you know what it is with .NET 2.0 sp1 that causes a problem?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727]

"Install"=dword:00000001

"MSI"=dword:00000001

"SP"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\1033]

"Install"=dword:00000001

"MSI"=dword:00000001

"SP"=dword:00000000

I am not sure how the registry will reflect the installation of the service packs for .NET - but just go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and have a look if these patches are installed.

These patches have sever negative influence on DFM as Joe mentioned here:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.2cbf0e61/8#selected_message

They must be removed if they are present on the CiscoWorks server that has DFM installed.

i only mentioned the registry because i can't see any reference to .NET SP1 in add / remove programs.

all i can see is 'Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0', under which, when i select 'show updates', is 'Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB928365)'... that's it. nothing about SP1.

The problem is really the underlying DLLs that .NET 2.0 SP1 and higher install. Regardless of what you think is installed, the root cause of the problem are versions of msvcm80.dll,

msvcp80.dll, and msvcr80.dll newer than 8.00.50727.42. If you have any such DLLs on the system, you must remove the them along with the software that installed them. The only other workaround is to disable DFM until a fix is available later this month.

as per my comment from back on Mar 6, 2008, 9:45am PST. I have deleted all of the mentioned .dll's, and removed software (TSM, Tivoli Backup Client & Adobe Reader version 8.0) which seemed to be related. Microsoft .NET 2.0 (no service pack) remains installed. and i still have a problem.

devices remain stuck in learning / pending and cannot be deleted / added to DFM.

if the newer version .dll's are no longer on the system at all, and i've restarted a number of times since their deletion, there's no way that the .dll's could still be the problem.. right?

If you've done another search, and the newer DLLs are truly gone, then that is not the problem. At what percentage are the devices hanging in DFM? This can be seen under DFM > Device Management > Rediscover/Delete.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: