Views
Helpful
Replies

"sh arp" not working

inderjeeta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

There is a switch-1 and from switch-1(C2950 Software (C2950-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5.3)WC(1)) one server is directly connected that have ip address 10.15.20.215.Once I ping the server ip address from switch-1. I got the reply.

But his ARP entry(IP address respect to Mac-address) does not show in the ARP table of the switch-1.On the other hand if I pinging the same server ip address from the other switch-2 (C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5.3)WC(1) it is reflecting the ARP entry in switch-2 ARP table. Please do the needful.

3 Replies 3

mark.j.hodge
Level 3
Level 3

What IP address is set on the switches, is it on the same subnet as the server?

Hi:

The 2950 is a layer 2 switch. Therefore, the forwarding table it keeps is populated by MAC addresses of directly connected machines. (show cam). You will not see arp entries on a layer 2 switch, except for the few entries that were learned by the management interface when telneting to another device.

HTH

Victor

Hi Mark,

You are correct . The above switch-1 is belong to the differnt network and we have put in the same networkand now the issue has been rectified.But i have one query more,"show mac-address-table" command does not working in the switch-1 while after put in the same segment but working in switch-2.Please do the needful.

Thanks for your great support.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card