cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Experiencing Latency cause by Spanningtree?

damrut5763
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I have a 6513 switch running 12.2(18)SXF3 and spanningtree on the ports and we are experiencing high latency between the two. When I check the interfaces there are no errors on interfaces however it slows to the point were emails stops being receive to Blackberry devices. I was told it can be cause by spanningtree is this true.

4 Replies 4

robert.horrigan
Level 2
Level 2

There's not enough info to say - need to know how many switches you have in your environment(if it's just the one like you say above then it's almost definitley not an STP issue), see your config, and what type of line cards and supervisor cards you have.

I have noticed something similar in my lab scenario. I have three 3750's running portfast on all access ports and bpduguard on all portfast ports. I am getting 1ms and 2ms ping responses, versus the normal <1ms

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Spanning tree is not the problem it is only used to prevent layer 2 loops in your network and generally does not put enough traffic on your net to cause any kind of degradation and certainly not enough to totally stop traffic.Your problem is elsewhere. If you turn off spanning tree and someone puts loop in your network then you will see major degradation in your network. How are these blackberries hooked into the network.

Thanks everyone after further investigation microsoft claim it is a problem with the message stores being to large, Spanningtree is fine!!!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: