cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Guide for replacing failed sup's?

richard.bennett
Level 1
Level 1

Hi - I'm lookign for a guide that details the steps required to replace a failed supervisor720 that is now / would be the standby. I have seen several situations where the replacmeemt module is inserted & does not drop straight in where the old one left off- for example the sup-bootflash is unreadable (probably needs formatting - is this due to old versions of ios using diff formats for example?), replacement module having different ios/no ios etc and other such issues. Is there a clear document that explains not just how to configure redundancy, but how to get past the failure & back up to a fully redundant mode. I'm looking for a doc that walks through all of the gotcha's.

6 Replies 6

Hi Edison - it helps a bit, but only covers the scenario that the replacement module happens to be sutup for catos & I need to covert it to IOS.

What for example if the replacement redundant module is delivered with IOS but not the version I am using? What is the procedure here - insert, format the sup-bootflash (as I cannot read it for some reason - maybe because the format is different on differing IOS's) and the manually copy the code to sup-bootflash so my original boot statements work? Then reload the redundant module? Appreciate your help.

1) Copy your production IOS code to your laptop using FTP

2) Remove the Compact Flash card from the production supervisor and insert the CF card from the replacement supervisor containing the new code (Note. you can safely remove the CF card while the Supervisor is running, the code is mainly needed during bootup. However, I recommend doing this procedure during a maintenance window).

3) Remove the code that came from the replacement supervisor and copy the IOS from your laptop to the new CF card.

4) Remove CF card from production supervisor and insert it on replacement supervisor. Insert original CF card back on production supervisor.

5) Insert replacement supervisor in the chassis and it should sync the configuration.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Hi Edison - thanks again for the tips. Does the replacement sup not need a boot statement to tell it to look on the CF card? i.e. if there is an image in bootflash it will use this instead as the first place it looks? Which means that the card will boot and be in cold standby rather than hot if there is an old image on the card. It then may not recognise the format of the CF card depending on the versions etc? Sorry to harp on but we have never been able to do this smoothly so would like confirmation. For example, the last instance we had a version on the sup-bootflash & also had this in a CF. The boot statements configured were supbootflash: then disk0: - problem we had was when we replaced the redundant sup, it came up on another version as it didnt have the config yet to read the boot statement & sup-bootflash was unreadable (I guess it needs to be formatted but where is that documented?) so we put the image in bootflash & added a third boot statement incaase we failed over to the redundant sup. At some point in the future we will try formatting the slavesup-bootflash & copying the code there & reset the slave, but I would like to be sure this is the right thing to do & hopefully have a smoother process next time! Thanks

Does the replacement sup need a boot statement to tell it to look on the CF card?

Yes

Hi There

Can you tell me how you add  this boot statement, do you mean the boot system command, or is the set boot commands in rommon ?

cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card