cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bundling T1's - general question

jim_berlow
Level 3
Level 3

I've been told that bundling T1's to the same provider is a simple process and requires no downtime. Is it really just a matter of me applying the configuration on my side or do I need to involve the provider and coordinate them to also bundle their side.

I guess the question is do both sides have to be bundled if going to the same provider? I always thought that you had to work with the provider (open tickets, etc) to bundle T1s.

Thanks for any insight into this process,

Jim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For MLPPP, you need to put a request into the provider and there is also downtime as you will be moving the IP address under the serial interface to the multilink interface.

The provider should give you an estimate regarding on the downtime and what needs to be done on each end.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For MLPPP, you need to put a request into the provider and there is also downtime as you will be moving the IP address under the serial interface to the multilink interface.

The provider should give you an estimate regarding on the downtime and what needs to be done on each end.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jim

If when we say bundling we mean using ppp multilink then absolutely this is something that must be done on both sides and must be coordinated. I would say that the downtime would be minimal, depending on how good the coordination is. But when the first side configures multilink there will not be traffic until the other side is also configured for corresponding multilink.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Another possiblity, perhaps the "bundling" that "is a simple process and requires no downtime.", isn't really bundling but routing across multiple links. (Also requires cooperation from your provider, often links can be added without any downtime.)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card