cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommendations for test switch?

jeff.velten
Level 1
Level 1

I'd like to get some suggestions for a decent test/config switch. Currently I'm using a borrowed 3560 for IOS testing and device pre-configuration. Now the project that the 3560 was purchased for is going forward, and my boss has approved the purchase of a replacement for me. I really don't need as many ports as the 3560 provides, as at any time I don't have more than 2 or 3 devices connected.

We currently run a core of stacked 3750s (which we will be upgrading later this year, possibly to a 6500 series), with distributed branch switches of various models. Ideally, I would like something in a smaller form factor, but which will run the latest versions of IOS, so I can test prior to upgrading our production switches. I was looking at the 2970, but the latest IOS version available for that is 12.1.

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can purchase a 3560 with 8 ports. Run the same IOS code as the big brothers.

__

Edison.

Thanks for the reply, Edison. My concern is that the 3560 maxes out at 12.2, and depending on our upgrade path from the 3750 core, I won't be able to test new IOS versions.

12.2 is the latest release for Catalyst switches in all models.

You are confusing the numbering scheme with routers which are 12.4 - they aren't the same :)

A 3560 (8 Port or 48 Port) incorporates the latest features Cisco has to offer in term of access switches. Much better buy than a 2970 which was an odd model and it's EOL.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Ah, ok. Thanks again for the reply. I was looking through the IOS upgrade planner and saw what looked like a few Catalyst models supported under 12.4 (4500, 6000). I'll look into the 3560 8-port model.

Short answer:

If you have 3750s at the "core" then you should have a 3750 spare/lab.

Long answer:

Dont "Save Costs" by buying another type or model couse you do not save costs. you simply just cost and set limits on what and how you can use it.

If you have the exact same equipment then you can always replace a faulty module quickly. And you can test the software and be quite assured that if it works on your test environment then it will work in the produktion environment to.

That way you are able to find bugs before they enter the produktion environment.

Thanks for the reply, hobbe. Unfortunately, I don't get to make the final decision, I just have to work with whatever option gets approved. We are looking at upgrading those core switches, so I have recommended adding a switch to the order when it's finalized for testing/backup. We're just not sure yet which model we'll be going with to replace the 3750s.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card