cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Presence click to dial with Outlook

pma1995
Level 1
Level 1

Outlook displays phone numbers without the 91. When I click on an Outlook contact CUPC shows failed conversation. If I add a 91 plus the 10 digit phone number to the contact then click on it the call goes through. I tried adding an Application Dial rule in CM 6 but it doesn't seem to work. Adding 91 to all of our company contacts is out of the question. Any other suggestions on how to fix this problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

actually we got it working with app dial rules. please confirm you have configured the following app dial rule (no 414*, since regexp in app dial are somehow different than in translation pattern)

Name: CUPC-Add91

Number Begins With: 414

Number of Digits: 10

Total Digits to be Removed: 0

Prefix With Pattern: 91

however, app dial rules are based on fix number of digits. so you have to be sure the rule matches your dial length. for 4145551212 this would be 10

no, you don't have to restart any CUCM service, only the both CUPS services mentioned in my last post - and probably CUPC client.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

smahbub
Level 6
Level 6

Try this BUG - CSCsb19302

pma1995
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the information but we are using Outlook not OWA. The problem occurs when we click to dial any external phone number from the Outlook contacts page. Out Outlook contact phone numbers appear as 414-XXX-XXXX. The 91 needs to be inserted automatically so the Communications Manager sees 91414XXXXXXX. I am not sure how to make that happen automatically from Outlook.

we have faced the same problem. actually you can use CUCM application dial rules to dial from your outlook contacts.

add the following application dial rule to CUCM:

Name Number Begins With Number of Digits Total Digits to be Removed Prefix With Pattern

CUPC-Add91 414 10 0 91

to activate the application dial rules for CUPC you have to restart CUPS services "Cisco UP SIP Proxy" as well as "Cisco UP Presence Engine".

hope this helps. if so, please rate

Unfortunately that didn't work. First I tried using 414 and then I tried a * as the dialed digits and neither one worked. The only thing that works so far is manually adding 91 in my Outlook contacts but we have too many contacts company wide to add 91 to all of them. When I built the app dial rule with a * in the "Number Begins With" field I could still dial out from my outlook contact which showed up in Outlook as 914145551212. I thought the app dial rule would add 91 making the number dialed out number 91914145551212 if the app dial rule was applied. I am wondering if a service needs to be reset on the CM to enable the app dial rule. Any thoughts?

actually we got it working with app dial rules. please confirm you have configured the following app dial rule (no 414*, since regexp in app dial are somehow different than in translation pattern)

Name: CUPC-Add91

Number Begins With: 414

Prefix With Pattern: 91

however, app dial rules are based on fix number of digits. so you have to be sure the rule matches your dial length. for 4145551212 this would be 10

no, you don't have to restart any CUCM service, only the both CUPS services mentioned in my last post - and probably CUPC client.

Awesome - it's working. I restarted CUPC and Outlook. So I guess you have to restart the SIP and Presence service then restart CUPC and maybe Outlook too to get this working.

glad it helped!

First, thank you for posting and helping.

Questions:

That solutions will have to be implemented for each long distance area code that your user community use, right (414, 212, 954, etc)?

What about local calls, jus prefix with “9” instead of “91”, I am guessing. The dilemma for us, what about when you have 2 or more sites? If you have the following, anyway to do this?

New York

Florida

If you append 91 for 212 (10 digits), it will work for the Florida office what about the New York office calling local from outlook, they only need the “9“.

Have any one had the situation above?

We now have a better method for the Application Dial Rules which will save a lot of programming time.

For local calls = Number begins with - leave blank, Number of digits - 7, Total digits to be removed - 0, Prefix with pattern - 9.

For toll calls = Number begins with - leave blank, Number of digits - 10, Total digits to be removed - 0, Prefix with pattern - 91.

How do you handle it when some exchanges in the local area code are long distance? Do you have to build a list of all the local exchanges to remove the area code?

If so, is there a limit to the number of dial rules, since each exchange will have to be listed seperately.

Thanks

Please refer to the previous message "we now have a better method" and you will see that only a couple of entries need to be entered for all exchanges.

So your contact do not have the area code if they are a local call, correct?

The problem with that is that if they sync with a cell phone it will cause problems when the area code needs to be dialed from the contacts.

Does that make sense?

The user clicks to dial from Outlook then the call goes out through the user's desk phone. This works on our system for all calls to cell phones and land line phones. I haven't tried using it to call out my desk phone via my cell phone. Mobile Voice Access is disabled on our system.

After talking to our own user community and customers communities everyone agreed that users are responsible for having the right number, 7 digits local, 10 digits local and long distance code “1” for USA. This way they can replicate their Outlook and their phone (Blackberry & PDA's) without breaking either system (Outlook & Presence).

We are responsible for adding the outside code, in our case and most customers was “9”, so we add the following 3 Dial Rules:

7 digits local

Number of Digits: 7

Prefix with Pattern: 9

10 digits local

11 digits LD

Number Begins With: 1

Number of Digits: 11

The “Number Begins With: 1” & “Number of Digits: 11” is very important not to confuse with 11 digits calls “92124441234”. This is safe since no USA area code can start with “1”.

Finally, after creating the rules above you need to restart some services on the Presence Server, I took the Microsoft approach and reboot the Presence Server instead to be safe.

Regards,

Hiram

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: