cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rate-limit ; is it suitable way to control bandwith??

aansatosorigin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

I am seeking for advise regarding rate-limit implementation on WAN interfaces over the internet. Currently I have 2x2Mb link binded together as Multilink interface, and I put rate-limit on it but I m not sure wether it rally works or not. Besides, I have tested to inject packets size more than 1000 bytes, and detected so much packet drops. Please find attached Multilink configuration for reference.Really hope anybody can help me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

HI,

Normally at the Enterprise level, the installation of Rate-Limit on the Interface connected to ISP will involve packet drops.

So, i would recommend apply the traffic split ie., rate-limit on the Inside interface where the Core LAN is connected.

PLS RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think rate-limit is not good. It somehow prevent a single connection to utilize the bandwidth even though its available P2P and while performing download it somehow degrade the transfer rate i.e. it will hit 2Mbps first then degrading while the transfer is occuring. Shaping is better and it's transfer rate is stable.

HI, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

Can you please clarify what for this Rate-limit is applied:

rate-limit input 8000 1500 2000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

rate-limit output 8000 1500 2000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

>> No ACL is matched against the Rate-limit

Under Multilink Interface 1 Configuration enable the commands as below:

load-interval 30

hold-queue 500 out

I hope Commmand: "no ip mroute-cache" is not required.

Hope I am Informative.

Pls Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Guru,

The rate-limit 8000 applies to those IP which is not under any IP segment registered under any access-list group.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Danilo with regard to a perference for shaping vs. policing.

One issue you're going to face, shaping or policing works best when upstream of any physical bottlenecks.

If you're trying to rate-limit inbound Internet traffic, doing so after the physical bottleneck does limit the traffic your hosts will receive but often the physical link is still congested and performance for other traffic still poor. The ideal placement for such a limiter is on the ISP's outbound side (unlikely they'll enable one - their usually offered solution, buy more bandwidth).

HI,

Normally at the Enterprise level, the installation of Rate-Limit on the Interface connected to ISP will involve packet drops.

So, i would recommend apply the traffic split ie., rate-limit on the Inside interface where the Core LAN is connected.

PLS RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Guru,

Its works!! Thanks for your great advice!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: