CCIE prep questions

Unanswered Question
Feb 29th, 2008

Hello all,

I am taking the bsci and bcmsn training in two months. Now I can go straight ahead into the CCNP or brutally pound my head against the wall for the CCIE. Now I would like to go for the CCIE, since routing and switching are my speciality but my question is. Can someone study from the books with a small lab and study effectively for the CCIE cert? My lab consists of 5 routers (4x 3640 and 1 3620) and 3 switches (3x 2950's). Now I understand I might need a 3550 for l3 switching? Can't I resolve by just using a router on a stick as a l3 switch'ing? Please help. I gotta make a decision soon regarding what path to take, CCIE or CCNP.

Thanks for the help!

JV from New Jersey

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Kevin Dorrell Fri, 02/29/2008 - 07:22

I would say go for the CCNP first. I would say the CCIE is an order of magnitude more difficult than CCNP, and requires a lot of practice.

Most of the lab exercise vendors use a rack of at least 7 routers and 4 switches. Quite a lot of the exercises I have done leverage the special features of the 3550 and 3560 such as the QoS etc. I use two 3550s and a couple of 2950s with routers on a stick, but I really do feel the lack of the 3560s.

I would go for the CCNP first, then start studying for the CCIE. Passing the CCIE written will re-validate your CCNP for three years. I reckon CCIE needs between 500 and 1000 hours of lab work. The exercises I have done from my vendors (NMC and IP Expert) are nothing like real-life topologies, so you must know lots of corner-cases.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

jim_berlow Fri, 02/29/2008 - 15:26

I agree with Kevin. Unless you have loads of experience with this (the CCIE is expensive so you don't want to fail), you should pursue the CCNP next. Keep in mind that the CCIE tests more than just the core routing and switching topics (there is security topics, WAN technologies (MPLS), QoS, and more). To give you an idea, I stopped counting my CCIE lab hours at 1000 (I got depressed thinking about all that time...)

Jim

vazquez.jorge Sat, 03/01/2008 - 06:02

Thank you gentlemen. I decided to take the CCNP path. CCIE is an afterwards goal, Thanks deeply.

Actions

This Discussion