Cisco simulator

Unanswered Question
Feb 29th, 2008

hi all, i recall that Cisco in the past has released a adobe flash based cisco router simulator available for download for free. I cant seem to find it anymore. I am planning to study for my CCNA exam, does anyone know of any free simulator software? would really appreciate your help. thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 2 (1 ratings)

I don't know of anything free released by Cisco. They do have a simulator for their Academy students, but not for the general public. It's called packet tracer.

I've heard of something called dynamips/dynagen. I've never used it, and I understand it's against Cisco licensing to use their IOS on a simulator such as dynamips.

I know that Boson and www.routersim.com sell simulators. I'm fairly certain that you get a simulator if you buy the platinum version of the Lammle CCNA study guide.

Hope this helps.

davehartburn Mon, 03/03/2008 - 07:13

As far as I can tell, dynamips simulates routers but not switches, which can be a problem for BCMSN.

The Boson router was all I needed for CCNA and is a very good product, however even the BSCI version was lacking for BSCI and useless for BCMSN. I very much doubt if it can do ISCW or ONT. On the whole, I felt upgrading was a waste of money ($150 if I recall correctly).

I've looked around for other simulators, but in the end scrounged old kit from work and bought the rest from e-bay.

GoBucks82 Mon, 03/03/2008 - 08:50

Although Dynamips doesn't directly emulate switches you can add a switch module to a router instance and there you go.

Actions

This Discussion