cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast RPF Question

schadmin
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up multicasting using sparse-mode with Auto-RP. We basically have a 355012G or equivalent at each of our sites. Our WAN connection comes in on gi0/1 and then we use VLAN Interfaces to seperate subnets after that. I set up sparse-mode on both Gi0/1 and VLAN5 (the vlan interface I want to run multicast on). I set up a feed and am trying to ping that feed (after joining the group) and I can pink it fine using gi0/1 as a source, but not VLAN 5. It fails the RPF check. I have put a static mroute entry in "ip mroute [ip of VLAN 5 subnet] [ip of next hop interface i want to reach]. I am not sure of what to put for the "destination interface" of the ip mroute statement. We have a mesh through our cloud to all of our sites. Would I have to enter a ip mroute statement for all of the sites? Any help would be appreciated. I have attached some shows to show what is going on.

3 Replies 3

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The (IP mroute) command has different concept than a normal (IP route)command.

IP mroute, is used to reach a source rather than destination.

The RPF method indicate that if the incoming interface is not the outgoing interface for the multicast packet then the Multicast packet is dropped.

I can see that you need to influence the return multicast packet twoard the source through GigabitEthernet0/1.

Note: you will need to make sure of all RPF checks is not failed in all sites.

Ie:IP mroute (source of the group) G0/1

Hope it helps,

Mohamed

I tried using the "G0/1" on the mroute statemet before submitting this post but it said I couldn't do that...

Next hop IP address required for multi-access media.

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

There is two approach to influence a Multicast packet tward a source.

1- Creating end-to-end tunnel interface, and influencing a static route tward the RP which (is the source in this case).

2- you can modify the routing table desition locally, check if the RP prefix is could be influenced to be reachable via the same interface a multicast packet comes from. (This could be acheived by modifying normal routing path).

HTH

Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card