cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS for Video on MPLS WAN

joel
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 sites and have a MPLS WAN with T1 bandwidth. I want to implement QoS and want to classify Video and voice traffic.

Should I classify Video based on tcp ports. If so, can someone tell me what the ports are?

joe

3 Replies 3

dphills18
Level 1
Level 1

We have Codec Boxes. I ended up having to create an access-list identifying the IP addresses of the codec box itself. We had issues with the audio and video not synching up. They sometimes do some computer presentation via the Codec as well. This way, everything that traverse via the Codec Boxes gets the same priority. Worked well for us. But I'm not sure if if I did was correct. Hope this will give you some guidance, but ACLs are very powerful.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As to what criteria to classify your Video on, you really should discover (hopefully from vendor documentation) what type of traffic the device generates to answer your question. For instance, depending on the nature of the Video source, there's a good chance it might not even use TCP.

PS:

Some additional hints:

Normally, voice won't exceed more than about 80-90 Kbps per flow. Video, depending on frames per second, resolution, quality, etc., can easily consume more than a T1's bandwidth for a single flow. If the video is authorized, you might need to work out with those who plan to use it, bandwidth allowances.

Voice is normally considered a real-time application if we're dealing with something like VoIP. However there's also streaming audio. Video could be interactive such as needed for a video conference, or it also could be streaming video.

The QoS treatment of streaming versions of both audio and video is often much more tolerant of what's needed vs. for the real-time versions of audio and video. Real-time video might need to have 3 to 4 times available bandwidth over its "average" usage bandwidth to work well.

those are some good points. those points were exactly what i was struggling with. our vendor, to my surprise, was absolutely no help. we didn't have any monitoring tools, so it was mostly a guessing game for me. we just obtained some monitoring tools, so i will be working on QOSing in the next few weeks. my back was against the wall, so QOSing the ip of the equipment was a last ditch effort to get things working. is it correct, most likely not, but it got me by until i'm able to get it right.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: