I have been able to acquire a small PIX501 with IOS 6.3(5). Now I know this is a far stretch from firewalls discussed in this forum but I would like to know if anyone could provide me with a little guidance on basic configuration of the firewall. Is it similar to a swith in a sense that you could use it as is right out of the box, does it require some basic configuration, if so what sort of config do I need to get it going, then build upon that, what resources will help me understand its functions, features and capabilities?
Any help will be appreciated.
It isnt similar to a switch, so it wont work out of the box when you connect your different networks.
At the most basic, you need to:
1. Configure your "inside" and "outside" interfaces with IP addressing, security-levels and names.
2. Configure your access to the firewall from a management station.
3. Configure NAT/PAT using "global" and "nat" statements.
4. Access-lists for traffic going across your firewall.
5. Routing statements so that your firewall knows where to send traffic it receives or generates.
This is probably the most basic of configurations you will need. Along the way, you can configure other features and settings.
As previously mentioned, there is a wealth of information you can find on the Internet. You can start on this Cisco page:
Hope this helps.